Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sunday - A Little of Everything

There are a lot of great links to share.

On May 1st, Guys Lit Wire announced their third annual Book Fair. This year all donated books will be going to Ballou Senior H.S. in Washington D.C.

"There are probably more books in my house then Ballou has in this video and that is wrong in so many ways that I don’t even know where to begin.

At the time the video was made early this year there were just over 1,150 books on the shelves at Ballou; there are over 1,200 students in the school. So there was barely one book for each student (the ALA standard is 11:1)"

Carol Rasco had two guest bloggers last week over at Rasco From RIF for El Dia de los libros
Illustrator John Parra - His latest project is Waiting for the Biblioburro by Monica Brown

"Creating and illustrating Waiting for the Biblioburro, was a tremendous pleasure. As I painted the book’s many scenes, I would get lost in the characters and landscapes that made this story special to me."



And author/illustrator Eric Velasquez - 2011 Pura Belpre winner for Grandma's Gift

Part of the fun of illustrating books is that sometimes the images mean more to the illustrator than to the people who read the books and other times if you are lucky the images mean more to the reader than to illustrator or the author, because they add their own back-story to the characters based on their own life experiences.



Librarian and Blogger Edi Campbell recommends a few titles for Asian-Pacific Heritage Month

"I love blogging! It gives me such an opportunity to learn! I was going to do, am doing, a quick and easy post on Asian- Pacific American Heritage month, but in gathering photos to spruce up my verbage, I found out that"

Congratuations to author Zetta Elliott and illustrator Shadra Strickland, their book Bird was this year's winner for West Virginia Children's Choice Book Award

Literacyhead is an organzation that believes in teaching literacy through art.

"A Literacyhead is someone who is intensely serious about exercising creative literacy, making connections across multiple literacies, pursuing thoughtful literacy as an individual and as a teacher, and constantly searching for ideas. Literacyheads may have expertise in different areas of literacy, but all are committed to children's literacy, passionate about the arts, incessant thinkers, and display a propensity for having fun. "



The Guardian linked to one of my post last week it was very exciting. Though the irony is they selected one of my few bookseller post and very soon on the 15th I will no longer be a bookseller, store is closing. I considered changing my blogger name but I decided againist it, I've earned my moniker.

One of my favorite novels this year ( and its not a YA crossover) is Please Look After Mom by Kyung- Sook Shin.


Usually with translated titles I feel as if I've missed something, this was not the case. I loved this book so much.

Vasilly wonderful review of Please Look After Mom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Between finding your review on the back of Stringz and seeing you the Guardian, I'd say you've had quite a week!!

I've seen some really good reviews for Please Look After Mom. I really think I'll be reading that one this summer.

Zetta said...

Thanks for the shout-out and all you've done to promote Bird, Doret!

Doret said...

Edi - I think you'll like Please Look After Mom

Zetta - Much congrats again. Go Bird

shadrieka said...

Thanks for shouting out BIRD and Literacyhead! You rock~