Friday, August 15, 2008

This Book Isn't Fat, It's Fabulous Nina Beck


This Book Isn't Fat, It's Fabulous by Beck, Nina Riley Swain is a well to do teenager, who lives in N.Y. with her father and soon to be step-mother. Riley's father is making her attend the summer program at New Horizons. According to the brochure New Horizons, specializes in the education and life maintenance for young ladies with body image issues or eating disorders. Riley calls it a fat camp for short. She doesn't tell her friends she's going to fat camp including Michael D Hammond, the best friend and crush. Riley doesn't fret over her weight, and has the same body issues as any teenager girl. At New Horizon Riley meets Eric, who is not her type but there's something about Eric, polished nails and all. Riley is boyfused now and far from home. Luckily Riley gets along well with her roommate, Samantha. This Book Isn't Fat, It's Fabulous is a good first novel. There are a lot of great moments and the in between times are good as well. Now I shall share,

Riley is going to the New Horizons cafeteria with Samantha
We walk across the campus( which takes no more than four minutes this is not a big campus-"campus" might be implying something too collegiate, big or impressive. Lets just call it a lawn (like a backyard lawn)

I won't set the next scene don't want to spoil it
Phase three on the other hand necessitates cunning and skilled negotiation. This is where I will shine. This is where my father would have cried, clasped me to his bosom, and muttered "My daughter, my darling daughter. I know thee, because you her a reflection of me"(Don't ask me where I get this shit I'm just that worldly)

A sequel seems possible, I am hoping this is so because there is a lot of growth potential with these characters. If you're looking for a fun page turning read, starring a rich NY girl who is not a mean girl check out This Books Isn't Fat, It's Fabulous.

No comments: