Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Freeze Frame Heidi Ayarbe


Freeze Frame by Heidi Ayarbe Kyle shoots his best friend Jason in the shed. Friends since childhood the two have been drifting apart. Jason's new friends call Kyle the shadow. Kyle can't remember the moment he pulled the trigger and he's afraid it wasn't an accident. Kyle is a movie buff, the only way he can cope with looking back on what happened is through the eyes of his favorite directors. He badly wants a retake or an edit but must settle for remembering. Freeze Frame is an intense read that moves at a perfect pace. Ayarbe does a wonderful job. It isn't until the end that we know what really happened. The reader can feel Kyles doubts and insecurities. I loved the character Ayarbe created in Mr. Cordoba, the high school libarian. She gives us glimpses into Mr. Cordoba's life and its easy to see why he cares. I loved the interaction between Kyle and Mr. Cordoba. I also loved Kyles voice, it was real and his actions understandable. I highly recommand Freeze Frame.
Kyle revists the shed
"The floor was filthy except for one really white spot. I kneeled down and touched where his blood had pooled. I tried to replay it all. But I still didn't know how it happened. How could something like that happen? It was just one second. Not even a second really. Then the burn, the powder, the ashes.
Ashes, ashes, we all fall down
What had I done?"

Release date October 7

No comments: