Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Lump of Coal Lemony Snicket Brett Helquist



The Lump of Coal by Lemony Snicket and Brett Helquist I read this on the train and I felt a little strange reading a holiday book in 90 degree weather so I hid the cover. Silly I know but the heat has taken my senses. Growing up my family didn't really do holidays. So I don't get buying a book to read for a few weeks or a night. I prefer holiday books like My Penguin Osbert by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel that aren't dated, season only. The Lump of Coal is definitely my type of holiday book, I loved it. The text and illustration worked beautifully together. Lemony Snicket tells us the story of a lump of coal who dreams of becoming an artist. He wanders the streets in search of his miracle. Several times while reading I had to pause and appreciate Helquist illustrations. Even now while writing this I am referring back to the book and I am noticing a few details in the drawings that make me say damn all over again. Lemony Snicket and Helquist have given us a wonderful story that families can enjoy no matter the season.
The Lump of Coal will be released Sept. 30

No comments: