Friday, May 2, 2008

Sunrise Over Fallujah - Walter Dean Myers


Sunrise over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers

I finished Sunrise Over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers,the tears are still fresh. The book lived up to the hype. The first novel I read by Myers was Crystal. I had recently started working at the bookstore, so I had no idea who he was. I picked Crystal up because there was a black girl on the cover. It's still one of my favorite Myers novels. I am always attached to the first book I read by good author. Without the first book there would be no second or third. Monster was the second.

After reading Monster there was no going back to not knowing who Walter Dean Myers is and what he's capable of. I was reading rave reviews about Sunrise Over Fallujah months ago. I tend to stay away from books set during war time.

This time though how could I not face my fear and read the words when so many people are still fighting a war that doesn't seem to want to end. To pass on a novel set during the Iraq war because its too sad or real just seems wrong. There are a lot of excellent reviews of Sunrise Over Fallujah online including one by Publishers Weekly. I love that Myers recognizes women serve in the military. I wonder what happened to Yossarian?

No comments: