Monday, April 14, 2008

I've grown as a reader


Growing up I didn't read any sci fi or fantasy. I was turned off early on when I was required to read The War of the Worlds by H.G Wells. I never did finish that novel. I never gave sci fi or fantasy another look until a few years go. As popular as children's sci fi and fantasy books are I couldn't ignore them any longer. So I started to slowly step out of my reading comfort zone. The last three years I've read books and authors I wouldn't have given a second glance before. I've enjoyed all the books I've finished. Before I was dismissing books based off of the cover alone. Yes I know this is bad, and no I can't stop, but at least now I am able to get beyond the cover and read a few pages. I am starting to get the appeal of losing oneself in another world. Today I actually had the urge to check out a fantasy book so I started 13th Reality by Dashner. I've been reading MG and YA fantasy titles for awhile now but this is the first time I've actually wanted to read one because I was in the mood for it. This may seem like a small thing but for me it signifies some serious growth. I won't be reading The Hobbit anytime soon but maybe in a few years I'll surprise myself.

No comments: