Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sleepers and More

Tomorrow morning all of the Children's and Young Adult awards will be given out and announced by the American Library Association . At first I wasn't put out my guesses than I though why not. So this is very late but still in time.

Caldecott
Pinkney's The Lion & the Mouse It's favored by many to win. It's a lovely book. Pinkney's work is beautiful as always. I hope it wins but I have my doubts.

Pinkney has two strikes against him. One its favored to win and that's never a good thing. Two, a Black illustrator has yet to win this award. Than again the U.S has its for Black president.

I will think very good thoughts for Jerry Pinkney had hope for the best.

Newbery -

Winner - Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
why - This novel is in the running at many mock newbery list but not favored. Lin , weaves stories within the story beautifully. It's not often that girls go on an adventures alone and by choice. Usually they are running away from a bad engagement, marriage, sacrifice etc. Also the parents hardly ever chase after the adventurer. The parents chase after their daugther (notice I said parents) Lin avoids the ever popular orphan protagonist.

Honors -
Love, Aubrey - by Suzanne Lafleur
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice Phillip Hoose

And my sleepers
The Brooklyn Nine by Alan M Gratz
Return to Sender by Julia Alvarez


Coretta Scott King Award

Author award - Flygirl by Sherri L Smith

Honors
Sweethearts of Rhythm by Marilyn Nelson Mare's War Tanita S. Davis

Illustrator award -Bad News for Outlaws by Vaunda Miche Nelson illus by R. Gregory Christie

Honors
We Troubled the Waters by Ntozake Shange drawings by Rod Brown
The Negro Speaks of Rivers by Langston Hughes and E. B. Lewis

John Steptoe Award for new talent
The Rock and the River by Kekla Magoon

Belpre - Like the Caldecott I am out of the Belpre loop

Story winner - Confetti Girl by Diana Lopez

Honor Leaving Glorytown: One Boy's Struggle Under Castro by Eduardo Calcines

Illus. Winner Pele, King of Soccer/Pele, El Rey del Futbol by Monica Brown illus. by Rudy
Gutierrez

Printz Winner Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco Stork

Honors
Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford
After by Amy Efaw
Liar by Justine Larbalestier
If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Jumped by Williams -Garcia

I have too many printz honors but don't know what to take off, so they all stay.

There are many more awards but those are all guesses. In a few hours, I will either look very smart or this post may magically disappear.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've heard many great things about the Brooklyn Nine and just picked up the ARC and will read it pretty soon.

I'm almost hoping that the Newbery would be a sleeper...

Trisha said...

One its favored to win and that's never a good thing.

That's why I have my doubts about Marcelo winning the Printz. I'd love to be wrong about this, though.

Also, Sheri L. Smith winning the CSK author award? I'd love to see that; Flygirl was a beautiful book. (Haven't read Mare's War yet, and none of the libraries in my system have Sweethearts of Rhythm. Or the Elizabeth Partridge some have been mentioning for the Newbery. Boo.)

Doret said...

KB - Brooklyn Nine is really good. And Boston is a baseball town so maybe.


Trisha - I know. Its makes me so sad. I have an awful feeling that Carter Finally Gets it - Will win the Printz.

If that happens I won't like the decision but I can understand it.

I loved Carter Finally Get it but I still got to go with Marcelo. Pick any YA book, I am still going with Marcelo.