Friday, January 29, 2010

Bleeding Violet Dia Reeves

Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves

This story is beautifully strange, I couldn't put down. 16 yr Hanna is half American half Finnish, half Black half White and 100% out there, I loved her. To honor her dad's memory Hanna wears only purple. When Hanna doesn't take her pills, she can still speak to her dad.

The story opens with Hanna arriving in her mom's home town of Portero, Texas for the first time. The two have never meet. After an incident with her aunt Hanna needs a new place to call home. She has her mind set on Portero. Hanna's mother, Rosalee does her best to discourage her daughter, it doesn't work. Hanna quickly learns Portero is a far from normal town. Students are turned into statues, and monsters can take people right off the streets. She fits right in.

Hanna has her eye on Wyatt. He is a member of Mortmaine, they protect the town from creatures. Some girls would turned off by what Wyatt can do, not Hanna. She wants to go on a midnight hunt to get the full experience. She also wants to prove to her mother she's strong enough to handle life in Portero

Reeves quickly established Hanna's voice and writes wonderful dialogue. One of the things I loved about this book, the author doesn't depend on the unexplainable in Portero to carry the story. Reeves writing is strong from beginning and only gets better.

This novel is out there from page one, as it continues it dances around the line of over top. I loved that dance and all the weirdness that was Portero. Ages 16up

I didn't do Bleeding Violet justice, so just read the excerpt

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm very excited to read this one - I read another glowing review of it the other day and added it to my list immediately! I love the cover, it looks like it goes really well with the book, all dark and spiky. :)

Zetta said...

Ok, I think I have to read this--and not just b/c purple's one of my favorite colors!

Doret said...

Jenny if like dark and spiky you'll enjoy Bleeding Violet

Zetta- I can't wait to see what you think of this one. Bleeding Violet of those all or nothing books, in terms of enjoyment.

MissA said...

I can not wait to read this book! I'm using February as my month to read all the books I need to read (Jacqueline woodson's books)/really want to read (Bleeding Violet, Leaving Gee's Bend) and completely ignoring the books I own :D