Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Congratulations

On Monday morning the American Library Association announced the children's literary award winners

Jerry Pinkney was the Caldecott award winner for The Lion & the Mouse . He is the first Black illustrator to win this award. Much Congrats Mr. Pinkney its well deserved.

Overall I am very happy with the results. I've read and loved all the Newbery books expect The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick , which I am looking forward to reading.

I was very exicited to see that Julia Alvarez, won the Belpre author award for Return to Sender
It was one of my favorite books of 09, and its well deserving of some attention. I had it down as one of my Newbery sleepers but Belpre sticker is excelente

Though, its the Corretta Scott King award winners that I am most happy with. Its nice to see a few new names get recongized for great work.

Vaunda Micheaux Nelson won the CSK author Award for Bad News For Outlaws . This is a wonderful biography about Bass Reeves. R. Gregory Chrisitie's illus are as beautiful as the author's text. I had this down as winning the illustrator award, but it was a coin toss. I am very happy to see it on the list.

I think CSK award were created to help get the words out on books, like Bad News For Outlaws. It got a lot of star reviews but its published by a smaller publishing house. So many people may not know about or may not think it's worth seeking out, until now.

Tantia Davis was a CSK author honor for Mare's War This is such a beautiful read. Its hard not to love it and Mare. If there was an award for best cover this book would be in the running. The people at Random House know how to make a great cover. For everyone who has already read and loved Mare's War do check out Davis first novel A la Carte

Charles R Smith Jr is the CSK illus. award winner for My People

E.B. Lewis was a CSK illus honor winner for The Negro Speaks of Rivers

I have not read either of the books recognized for illus. (yet) but I am a fan of both artist and one can never go wrong with Langston Hughes.

Kekla Magoon was the recipient of the John Steptoe Award for new talent for The Rock and the River It's a wonderful middle grade historical fiction novel.

Congratulations to all the winners.

2 comments:

MotherReader said...

I've loved E.B. Lewis's artwork for years, but this book was really something. Instead of having a story to illustrate, he could work from the poem with more interpretation and freedom. Beautiful book.

(I'm not adding anything to the other books you noted because I either a. agree or b. haven't read it.)

Anonymous said...

You have a lot of reading to do?? LOL I have tons of catching up!
You give excellent insights into these books. Guys Lit Wire gave Magoon a really nice review.