Sunday, January 3, 2010

Favorite Books of 2009 - Two A Day

Day two of Favorite Books Read in 2009 -Two A Day

10 Favorite Biographies
I and I Bob Marley by Tony Medina illus by Jesse Joshua Watson
Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice by Phillip M. Hoose
The Other Mozart: The Life of the Chevalier Saint-George by Hugh Brewster illus by Eric Velasquez
John Brown : His Fight For Freedom by John Hendrix
Shining Star : The Anna May Wong Story by Paula Yoo illus. by Lin Wang
Bad News for Outlaws: The Remarkable Life of Bass Reeves, Deputy U. S. Marshal by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson illus by R. Gregory Christie
Building on Nature: The Life of Antoni Gaudi by Rachel Victoria Rodriguez illus. by Julie Paschkis
Sky High: The True Story of Maggie Gee by Marissa Moss illus by Carl Angel
Sonia Sotomayor: A Judge Grows in the Bronx / La juez que crecio en el Bronx by Jonah Winter illus. by Edel Rodriguez
Pele, King of Soccer/Pele, El rey del futbol by Monica Brown illus by Rudy Gutierrez

10 Favorite Non Fiction Titles
Sweethearts of Rhythm by Marilyn Nelson illus. by Jerry Pinkney
Marching For Freedom: Walk Together Children and Don't You Grow Weary by Elizabeth Partridge
Jim Thorpe, Original All-American by Joseph Bruchac
14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra Deedy illus by Thomas Gonzalez
Leaving Glorytown: One Boy's Struggle Under Castro by Eduardo F. Calcines
Our Children Can Soar: A Celebration of Rosa, Barack, and the Pioneers of Change by Michelle Cook illus. by various awarding and up and coming artist
The Real Spy's Guide to Becoming a Spy by Peter Earnest and Suzanne Harper
An Environmental Guide from A to Z by Tim Magner
We Troubled the Waters by Ntozake Shange illus by Rod Brown
Harlem Stomp!: A Cultural History Of The Harlem Renaissance by Laban Carrick Hill

3 comments:

MissA said...

Thanks to your blog I actually want to read picture books now, especially Shining Star. I realy liked Claudette Colvin, it was very interesting and I'm glad she's getting more attention, she deserves it!

Did you read The help? I'm currently reading it and it's very, very good. I need to read Harlem Stomp! I love the Harlem Renaissance/Black artists going to Paris in the '20s and '30s

Doret said...

I loved the Shining Star

Ari- I know you loved Smith's YA novel Flygirl you might want to check out Sky High - It the story of Maggie Gee, one of only two Chinese American Woman to serve in the WASP program during WWII

I loved Harlem Stomp.

I haven't read the Help

LaurieA-B said...

I highly recommend Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie, a picture book biography of the great chef Edna Lewis. I loved it. Thanks for the great lists you're sharing.