Sunday, September 27, 2009

Dramarama E. Lockhart

Dramarama by E Lockhart Sarah hates her boring, razzle -dazzle (her words) free life in Brenton Ohio. The only time Sarah feels any excitement is at tap and jazz lessons at Miss Delilah's school of dance. With an older father and deaf mother, Sarah's home life is too quiet. At school she simply blends in. When Sarah meets Douglas (Demi) at an audition for a summer theater program she finds what she was looking for. Demi is new at Sarah's high school. Like Sarah, he keeps a low profile. Beaten up at his last school Demi has perfected his straight boy drag. When Sarah and Demi meet its an instant connection. Demi quickly renames Sarah, Sadye. Sadye is everything Sarah isn't, embracing her height and big nose.
The two make it into the Wildewood summer program. Both are excited to be getting out of Brenton, believing this is their chance to shine. Wildewood is filled with many stars, including Demi. Each summer six shows are put on. Demi is cast in a lead roll. At Wildewood he is free to be himself and fall in love. Sadye experiences isn't as good. She is cast as a tree and a boy. The different levels of success and Demi's new boyfriend will test Sadye's and Demi's friendship.

Going in I didn't expect Sadye not to be one of the talented ones. The name Sadye screams star not tree. That's one of the things I love about this novel. Sadye loves everything about theatre but sometimes we are not good at the things we love. Sadye must watch as all of her friends get cast as major parts. Sadye must come to terms with her roll at Wildewood.

I loved Demi, Lockhart made me a quick believer in this Black gay teen. She had me at Topdog/Underdog that 's the play Demi uses for his audition. I believe Lockhart didn't try to over think Demi and in doing so created a wonderful character many refuse to acknowledge. Lockhart didn't make race a primary factor nor did she ignore it. For her part Sadye didn't want to talk about it, thinking it was the only thing that separated them. Demi doesn't like that Sadye won't to acknowledge that he is Black. The two times Sadye and Demi talk about race, Sadye quickly changed the topic. Lockhart gives us a glimpse of Demi's homelife. He is an only child with cold parents who he can't be himself with. When Sadye and Demi became inseparable at the audition, Sadye wasn't the only one who felt saved.

This is the fourth book I've read by Lockhart. I really enjoy her writing style. Again she succeeds in creating very realistic characters and a great story line. Though Sadye and Demi are the primaries, Lockhart gives the spotlight to others. I highly recommend this, especially for theatre fans. Dramarama is filled wonderful talk of Broadway shows, impromptu dancing and singing. Ages 12up

3 comments:

MissA said...

I need to start reading lockhart's books! I've heard they are very good from various other bloggers. I think I'll start with Dramarama =)

Jodie said...

I have to read this I think, sure I've heard about it a bunch of times but it hasn't stuck before. Your description makes it sound exactly like my sort of thing.

Doret said...

Ari and Jodie Lockhart's books are really good. This is a great one to start with and I really enjoy The Boyfriend List Series.