Saturday, January 22, 2011

Stone Soup Saturday

Artist Rafeal Lopez created U.S. postal stamps celebrating Latin American Music Legends
I am passionate about Latin music as it has fueled my work for decades. As a child growing up in Mexico City I was lucky to study guitar and South American instruments like the quena and cuatro with Folklorista Gerardo Tamez. My uncle had a musical radio program at UNAM that introduced folk and protest music from Latin America. I grew up in a household where my architect parents constantly played instruments and sang music. We were always dancing and I can't bring myself to paint without music.

What an honor it is for me to tell you more about these extraordinary legends and the process of creating stamps to celebrate their contributions. I'm proud of Latin music because it is essential in communicating the spirit of our culture. I have to agree that Latinos are born with rhythm. These five dynamic individuals continue to inspire future generations of musicians. I hoped to paint portraits that would resonate for their families and fans. I felt compelled to give it all I had as an artist to communicate the essence of these legends, their spirit, style and sound.

The stamps will be available in February. Also coming out next month is Samantha R. Vamos newest picture book The Cazuela that the Farm Maiden Stirred illus. by Rafael Lopez

In Celebration of African American History Month, RIF is having a live broadcast of Moon Over Star by Diana Hutts Aston illus. by Jerry Pinkney on February 8th

Join RIF for the next RIF LIVE broadcast at 1:30 p.m. (ET) on Tuesday, February 8, in celebration of African American History Month. Leland Melvin, NASA’s Associate Administrator of Education and a former astronaut, will share his experiences traveling in space and read aloud The Moon Over Star.

The online broadcast will happen in real time on the RIF LIVE page so you will be able to ask questions via a chat feature or by email.


Over at The Brown Bookshelf they have announced the authors and illustrators to be featured for the 4th annual 28days later campaign

YA author Debbie Riguad shares an aunt's joke as she remembers the one year anniversary of the major earthquake that hit Haiti.

This new year marks the first anniversary of the devastating earthquake that rattled our family hometown of Port-au-Prince to its core. So on January 1st as I was issued Evelyne’s customary “A pye nou ye” greeting, I heard the echo of something entirely different. To me, the phrase echoed of Haiti’s slow recovery process. Oftentimes, it seems that Recovery is traveling “on foot” up a steep and slippery hill. The people in the affected areas in and around the captiol seem like weary travelers stripped down to their slowest mode of transportation—walking.

1 comment:

Kate Coombs said...

Thanks for the info--I'll look for the stamps and Cazuela!