Friday, August 6, 2010

A Poem

I must confess

There's something I must confess
This past Wednesday,
I read three stories

A griot I am not
But the kids didn't cry
And that was good enough for me

My lackluster storytelling
Is not my confession (If only)
It's more serious

I played to the crowd
little girls in pink

The urge to give them what they want
to strong to ignore
I blame the pink,
think it's hypnotic (you can't look away, princesses are great)
little girls will soon take over the
World

At least, that will be my excuse
If word gets out that
I
A woman
supposedly not fond of
Princess pink tales
Willingly read one
And
Really really liked it.

H E double hockey sticks,
The truth is, I loved (with a capital L)
The Very Fairy Princess

Like the author, Julie Andrews
Its very gush worthy,
But please
shhhh
I have a anti pink rep to protect

8 comments:

Mardel said...

is this poem by you? what a great poem! I love it. - I find myself reading all kinds of books I wouldn't normally touch - just to please the little princess-going-on-queen.

Jeannine said...

Great poem Doret. I assume you wrote it!! I feel you on the princess stuff. I feel like if I could go against my nature and write a gushy, mushy sugary pink princess story I would be a best-selling author by now!!!

Charlotte said...

That is very funny! Thank you for sharing!

Edi said...

Doret!
Very nice!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I love this! I can't believe you have been hiding this talent!

Sarah Rettger said...

Doret, that is awesome - both the poem and the sentiment.

Doret said...

Thanks everyone. Glad you enjoyed it. I had fun writing it.

MissA said...

Bravo! Share more poems PLEASE =)

I hope you lose your anti-pink rep ;)