Friday, October 17, 2008

Father Daughter Picture Books

This is a clip of Tim McGraw pulling a fan on stage for hassling a female fan. I really wanted to show the clip of Faith Hill getting into a fans face for touching McGraw's package but I couldn't find a good clip. I really like Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. I enjoy their music and think they make a very cute country couple. Sometimes I wonder if they double date with Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood. Tim McGraw gets some extra points because his father Tug Mcgraw was a reliever for the Mets in the 70's. Though as much as I like them, Tim McGraw's new picture book My Little Girl makes me kind of ill. It's suppose to be for fathers to read to daughters but it beats the reader over the head with sappy lessons. A father and daughter spend the day together. They start by spelling out I love u and I love u more with their food. Really! And it ends with the daughter saying the best part of her day was spending it with daddy. Okay we get it, its important for daughters to spend time with their fathers, how about you tell a story now. This is a good family picture book, Mcgraw's daughters will enjoy it because he wrote it but to expect other fathers and daughters to like it, is asking too much. Just because a picture book is targeted towards girls does not mean it has to be pink. Come On people its 2008. There are many shades of blue, yellow and green are also nice. Hopefully customers won't ask me what I think of Mcgraw's picture book, I hate the taste of blood in my mouth.
Great picture books fathers can read to their daughters Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale by Mo Willems Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs? by Carmela Coyle Owl Moon by Jane Yolen Homemade Love by Bell Hooks When I Was a Girl . . . I Dreamed by Margaret Baker Clara and ASHA by Eric Rohmann Daddy Mountain by Jules Feiffer and Many Moons by James Thurber.

5 comments:

teacherninja said...

I agree with your picks. Most celebrity books are horrible. Excepting maybe Jamie Lee Curtis. Even writer/dad Garrison Keillor's book makes me break out in hives--though my 5-yr old daughter likes the banana poem (but she's FIVE and has no taste yet. We do agree, however, that Beware of the Frog is our new favorite picture book. Along with Jack-Jack and Googly (I do Googly with a Marlon Brando/Godfather voice that kills her).

Doret said...

I am going to read Jack Jack and Googly the next time I go to work

Anonymous said...

If you're going to talk about father/daughter books, you HAVE to read Good Night Princess Pruney Toes by Lisa McCourt. It's our favorite. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding additional copies of it lately.

Doret said...

thanks for the additional book anonymous, I had trouble thinking of more. Everone is free to add a book or books

Anonymous said...

I like celebrity picture books but I would like for the books to be worth the cost not just paying for the celebrity's name. I like the book by Jada Smith.