Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Dance with Me Charles R. Smith Jr Noah Z Jones


Dance with Me by Charles R. Smith illustrated by Noah Z Jones This book is filled with great color, a mean beat and a lot of movement. I loved it. Noah Z Jones , illustrated another book I loved Not Norman. If I am not mistaken Norman makes an appearance at the end of Dance with Me. Jones's illustrations are a combination of watercolor, pencil, charcoal, and digital rendering. ( I got that some the inside flap) Without the flap, I'd say the illustrations are fun, light, colorful and kids will love them. There are no more then four words on a page. Making this a perfect easy reader book. Though I am very happy with my Cybils easy reader vote, if this was out I would've picked it. Two kids and a dog are walking in their neighborhood getting everyone to Dance with them. A tale of two sides- on the left the children stop at a bus stop start dancing. Everyone has a whats wrong with these kids look of their faces. On the right- everyone is dancing right along with the children. The lady lets her hair down, throws the newspaper in the air and the man puts down his briefcase. I love the contrast of these side by side pages. Its fun to see people remember how to just dance. My favorite stop is the Pet Store. Where they get a lizard to shake its head, a dog to scrunch its nose, a ferret to rub its belly and chicks to stand on their toes. With all the movement its perfect for storytime, especially for younger listeners. Its hard for me to resist the temptation to move when I read this,

Dance with me . Twist with me.
Wiggle, move, and
bounce with me
Move your body
to the beat


And I know I won't be the only one. Enjoy the dance


No comments: