Tuesday, November 2, 2010

On Sale Now : New Releases

This is the only regular feature I run. On Tuesday I list all new or newish children's releases that are about or feature kids of color. I say newish because I won't know when a middle grade or young adult novel feature a diverse cast until I read it or someone tells me. So such a book won't make my list until I am aware of its diversity.

Also every week I miss at least 1 or 2 new releases. Every Tuesday or Wednesday when I go to work and see a few I've missed. Many of these books have soft release dates. Meaning catalogs and amazon may have the release date as Nov. 16 but the book hits the stores on Nov 2. There is just no knowing.

The only thing I can promise all the titles are 2010 releases.

Seaside Dream by Janet Costa Bates illus by Lamert Davis - This is Bates picture book debut. Its a lovely story featuring a grandmother and granddaughter with beautiful illustrations. Its the first picture book I've seen gives young readers a little insight into Cape Verde


Look See, look at me! by Leonie Norrington This was a great find, its a celebration of life in an Aboriginal community. The author grew up in a Barunga Aboriginal community


The Secret Message by Mina Javarherbin illus by Bruce Whatley - I love this cover. This is a story based on an anicent Perisan poem


Wings and Dreams/Alas y Suenos The Legend of Angel Falls by Irania Macias Patterson illus. by Catherine Courtland McElvane - Another great find*, a newly imagined folktale from Venezuela by a Venezuelan author


The Boy in the Garden by Allen Say - This is a beautiful story, as always Say's artwork is amazing. I am pretty sure Say writes picture books in his spare time. The rest of Say'swork can be found hanging in museums.


Almost Zero: A Dyamonde Daniel Book by Nikki Grimes illus by R. Gregory Christie - This is the third book in this early chapter series. Grimes and Christie together to me that screams must read. And yes I do love this series.


More Spooky Texas Tales by Tim Tingle and Doc Moore - Of course I would find this one after Halloween, oh well. Spooky stories are great anytime.

Where the Streets Had a Name by Randa Abdel-Fattah - This is Abdel-Fattah's third novel and first middle grade novel. I loved her YA debut Does My Head Look Big in This? Really looking forward to reading this one.


Sweet Treats and Secret Crushes by Lisa Greenwald - This is a cute middle grade novel about three best friends who may be growing apart. One of the girls is Chinese.

Awake by Wendy Raven McNair. This is the second book in a trilogy. Ari is hosting a giveaway. You have until Nov. 6 to enter


Dragon Chica by May-Lee Chai - This is classified as fiction. Though I haven't read it, I am putting it on the list. Its a coming of age story and the protagonist is 11 yrs old at the onset.


Before You Suffocate Your Own Fool Self by Danielle Evans - This is a collection of coming of age short stories. Again fiction but works very well as a crossover. These stories are ridiculously good. The first story Virgin's was featured in 2007 Paris Review. read an excerpt


*I am on my game tonight.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

The Boy in the Garden is already on my list--it looks lovely!