Thursday, May 20, 2010

What Do I Read Next?

So, if you visit my blog on occasion, you know I am constantly reading . I have a long mental to be read (tbr) list. I don't bother writing it down, since I know I won't be loyal to it. It's enough that I know what I want to read. Deciding what to read next for me is about balance.

There are books or authors I am looking forward to that won't wait long in my reading queue. Like Perchance to Dream: by Lisa Mantchev or Blimpo: The Third Circle of Heck by Dale E. Basye or Keeper by Kathi Appelt

There are the books that simply catch my eye in the store Chances are it there won't be many customers looking for it. But I don't care. The best example I have of this is Out of His League A YA novel written by an Australian author about football. That is a serious trifecta for me. I think this category is very important since its about reading for self and not worry about who else will like it.

There are the books that look good to me and I think will be great to add to my hand sell repertoire. Like Dark Life by Falls. This is similar to books that catch my eye but I am thinking about customers.

There are the advanced reader copies (arcs) I request. Usually, I move requested arcs to the top of the queue and get to them before the release date. The unrequested I get to as soon as I can. I try and get to them before the release date.

There are the books that are getting a lot of great reviews. Or we have a lot of copies. I think reading too many of these books can bring about reader burnout quickly. Because you are allowing others to choose your titles. It nice to discover my own books or authors to love. Usually I don't get to these books that quickly. Its easy to fake the funk ( or act like I know) about them at work since they are so popular. I still haven't read any of the 39 clues books but I don't need to sell them. Plus these titles don't need much blogger attention.

There are the books that I discover from other peoples blogs.

There are the books with characters of color. I do practice a sort of readers Affirmative Action here (kind of ironic since this is the last category) but books with kids of color get the move to the head of the queue Though it still must be something I have an interest in. I am really looking forward to reading Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes. Rhodes is an award winning author. Many of her novels are set in New Orleans. Ninth Ward is her first middle grade title. Its about hurricane Kartrina. I will read as soon as it comes out. Finding My Place by Traci L. Jones, is another one that I won't wait long to read. I loved Jones YA debut Standing Aganist the Wind. Then there' s Mr. Mendoza Paintbrush by Luis Alberto Urrea, illus. by Christopher Cardinale. The cover art of is gorgeous. The story sounds beautiful. These three titles and many books with kids of color trump many of the popular and best selling titles with ease. Notice, I said many not all. I am not immune to the goodness that is the Hunger Game series by Suzanne Collins. I will be reading Mockingjay as soon as it comes out.

Books with kids of color are not the only books to get this treatment. Any title that I think needs a little blogger attention and that I might enjoy can jump the tbr line.

Like girls sports novels Breakaway by Andrea Montalbano, came in last week. Its an middle grade title that features a girl soccer player. I will be read soon. or Tall Story by Candy Gourlay. Its a sports novel that features a girl, and its about another culture. (Philippine). That is a must read for me. So much so I am adding Tall Story to this post even though the release date has been pushed back to early 2011. (that makes me sad)

Some books with male protagonist can jump as well. The Lock Artist: by Steve Hamilton - This is an adult mystery, the protagonist is 18. So it may crossover into YA. Either way I it sounds like something I will like. Just came across it today will read soon

I know this sounds like a lot but many times books fit into more than one of these categories. Doing this keeps reading enjoyable. I would hate reading if I tried to keep up with what was hot. It would feel too much like work. There was a time when I used to finish every book I started. (especially best sellers or popular titles) Not anymore. If I don't like it, I am putting it down. I don't care how many people said they loved it.

3 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

You've got a lot of good ones: you need to have a little weekend read-a-thon and get to a few of them! I'm interested in checking out the 2 books you told me about on my post about Papa Bell. So many good books out there!

Anonymous said...

I just started Ninth Ward this morning and am really enjoying it so far. Always so many good ones to look out for!

Charlotte said...

so many books to read....back before I blogged, I used to be a re-reader, mainly because of constantly running out of books...now I'm so much more familiar with what's out there, that I have more books in my tbr pile than ever before in my life!