Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Perchance to Dream Lisa Mantchev

Perchance to Dream: by Lisa Mantchev
This is the sequel to Eyes Like Stars, one of my favorite YA books last year. 17 yr old Bertie has left theatre for the first time. She wants to rescue Nate, a love interest. She is accompanied by her friends the fairies from A Midsummer Nights Dream and Ariel another love interest.

Like, Eyes Likes Stars, the author throws the reader right into the story. This time I was ready for it. I enjoy Mantchev lets get right to it beginnings. Bertie's words have power, thanks to a magical journal. Whatever she writes becomes true. Bertie learns early on to carefully word everything.

This is the kind of novel should be read slowly. Too fast and you'll miss some beautiful word play. Bertie is caught between Ariel and Nate but never loses herself.

I was really looking forward to reading Perchance to Dream, it was worth the wait. I enjoyed losing myself in Bertie's world again. I love Mantchev very different writing style. I wish I had the words to explains how much the author's writing impressed me all I could think was wow. (actually now wow but I am trying to stay clean) Though I did find myself lost at times. As if I was no longer in sync with the author's rhythm. It didn't happen often but when it did I was worried I was missing something.

I loved the unexpected ending for the love triangle of Bertie, Ariel an air spirit and Nate a pirate. I enjoy reading a book where everything is new and unexpected. I highly recommend this series. You must begin with Eyes Like Stars.

Read an excerpt of Eyes Like Stars
An excerpt of Perchance to Dream

How often do I include two excerpts? One, often. Two, not often. So you know this is some seriously good reading.

No comments: