Saturday, August 8, 2009

Books Worth the Wait

Here are a list of some fall titles I am looking forward to.

Picture Books

The Lion & The Mouse by Jerry Pinkney- This looks gorgeous
Peeny Butter Fudge by Toni Morrison and Slade Morrison, illus by Joe Cepeda - Sept.
SweetHearts of Rhythm by Marilyn Nelson illus by Jerry Pinkney - A 1940's all female interracial jazz band. This is a must read for me
Michelle by Deborah Hopkinson illus by A.G. Ford. Looking forward to this Michelle Obama biography because Ford is an illustrator to watch. Oct.
Olu's Dream by Shane Evans This looks and sounds beautiful. A must read.
An Eye for Color by Natasha Wing illus. by Julia Breckenreid There is something about this cover that makes me want to see more. Sept.
Sky High The True Story of Maggie Gee by Marissa Moss illus. Carl Angel . In Sherri Smith's YA novel Flygirl. Ide Mae Jones passes for White so she can join the Women's Airforce Serive Pilots (WASP) during WWII. In Flygirl, Smith mentions that two Chinese women were members of WASP. Maggie Gee is one of these women. A must read Aug.
Never Smile at a Monkey by Steve Jenkins Oct.
Voices of Christmas by Nikki Grimes illus. Eric Velasquez
Our Enduring Spirit President Obama's first words to America illus by Greg Ruth. The illus. for this book look amazing.

Middle Grade/Young Adult Fiction

NERDS by Michael Buckley - Read and loved the ARC. Kudos to the author for diverse cast of characters and storyline. Sept.
Luv Ya Bunches by Lauren Myracle - This ARC is in my pile, looking forward to reading. Look like a lot of fun and I get to use my favorite D word again. diversity.
Viola in Reel Life by Adriana Trigiani Sept.
Purple Heart by Patricia McCormick Sept
CatWalk Strike a Pose by Deborah Gregory, I've been waiting and waiting on this. The first one was great my review Sept.
Andrew North Blows Up the World by Adam Selzer. A 3rd grade spy. Fun must read for me. I loved Selzer last novel, I Put a Spell on You. my review.
Bobby Vs Girls (Accidentally) by Lisa Yee - I've never read a Lisa Yee novel, this looks like a fun introduction. Sept.
City of Fire by Laurence Yep This looks great Sept.
The Dream Stealer by Sid Fleischman illus. by Peter Sis. Looks beautiful. A must read. Sept
I Wanna Be Your Shoebox by Christina Garcia I loved this so much. my review. Paperback comes out in Sept.
The Last Newspaper Boy America by Sue Corbett- This sound really good. Love the cover Sept
After by Amy Efaw Reading now very good. Aug
Bad Apple by Laura Ruby Oct.
Ash by Malinda Lo All the great reviews of this book make it a must read Sept
Exposure by Mal Peet Inspired by Othello. Shakespeare and soccer, a must read Oct
Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines This sounds like it could be really good. Nice cover. Oct.
Front and Center by Catherine Murdock. I loved D.J. looking forward to final book Oct.
Liar Justine Larbalestier - This sounds really good. please ignore the old cover Oct.
Rage by Julie Anne Peters Sept.
Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr Oct.
Spellbinder by Helen Stringer Read the ARC. Loved it. my review Oct
Bystander by James Preller - Sounds great, love the cover Oct
In the Path of Falling Objects by Andrew Smith - Oct
Marwe by Marie P. Croall illus. by Ray Lago and Craig Hamilton - A graphic novel based off of an East African legend. On sale now A must read
Bad News for Outlaws by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson, illus by R. Gregory Christie- The story of Bass Reeves, an African American lawman in the old West. This book looks great. Out now.
On My Journey Now by Nikki Giovanni rerelease Sept.
What are you looking forward to? What am I missing?

10 comments:

Tarie Sabido said...

ACK!!! So many good books to read. Not enough hours in a day!!!! Thanks for directing my attention to these upcoming titles. :D

Natasha Wing said...

Thanks for including my book, An Eye for Color. The cover is bright and you'll soon see the interior pages are bright and colorful, too. I'm especially excited about the end pages since there are activities for kids to try so that they can experience color like artist Josef Albers did.

Doret said...

And there are so many more.
Natasha, thanks for stopping by An Eye for Color looks great.

Lori Calabrese said...

Doret,
What a fantastic list! Thanks for sharing! :)

All the best,
Lori

Anonymous said...

OK, Doret. I'm still working through my summer TBR pile. It kinda got away from this year! I have so many, many books there I really want to read but, you prompted me to do a little research and find a few new titles. I'm posting them on my blog, and will link back here! I have noticed a lot more science fiction, fantasy and horror for teens of color.

Doret said...

Edi, did you notice the ones on the bottom?

I so want Marwe and Bad News For OutLaws.
And of course Sweethearts of Rhythm,
And Olu's Dreams,
And The Lion & The Mouse
And Sky High

Okay I am going to stop now. If I don't I will write this list all over again.

Can't wait to see what titles you highlight.

MissA said...

Wow now i have a ton more books to read! thanks :) have you read the lipgloss chronicles? it's sitting on my tbr pile, and I'm curious as to whether or not it's good.
Oh and I recommend Holidaze by L.Divine in the Drama High series (or the whole series if you haven't read any of them!)

Ali said...

This list is wonderful, and a tad overwhelming! Several authors on my "be sure to read their next one" list, plus some new ones I can't wait to try out. Wow.

Lenore Appelhans said...

There are so many great books coming out and I still need to read all the great ones I've got.

the prisoner's wife said...

So many books to read & add to my list and so little time.

hmm, i need a sponsor so i can have the best middle-school Library in Los Angeles! lol