Saturday, August 29, 2009

Akimbo and the Baboons Alexander McCall Smith

Akimbo and the Baboons by Alexander McCall Smith illus. by LeUyen Pham I really enjoy McCall Smith #1 Detective Agency series so I don't know why it took me so long to read books in the Akimbo series, also read Akimbo and the Crocodile Man. There are five books in the Akimbo series. Set in Africa, Akimbo's father is a head ranger, studying animals in their natural habitat. In each book people who study animals come by to visit Akimbo's father. Akimbo always finds himself involved in another animal adventure.

In Akimbo and the Baboons, a scientist hires Akimbo and his cousin Kosi to be her assistants. I really enjoyed both books. Pham's illustrations are a perfect fit. The stories are adventurous with a close call thrown in to raise the readers heartbeat just a bit. In Akimbo and the Crocodile Man, A crocodile takes a bite out of the crocodile man's leg. Akimbo must cross the crocodile infested waters to get help. The stories include facts about the animals featured. A Did You Know, follows Akimbo and the Baboons. I would highly recommend this series, to readers who prefer non-fiction stories about animals. Ages 7up

1 comment:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Those sound really cool!! I am going to Kenya in November and am planning a safari. I hope to see zebras the most.