Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Wild Book - Margarita Engle

The Wild Book by Margarita Engle
A little girl in Cuba named Fefa is diagnosed with Word Blindness in 1912, long before the learning disorder became known as Dyslexia. Fefa is determined to see the words that won't still still on the page. She decides to keep a book and write in it daily. This novel set all in verse is filled with all of Fefa's thoughts and feelings.

Fefa's voice is strong from the start. Engle's writing is pure beauty.
The others laugh
They always laugh
When I am forced to read
Out Loud
they mock
my stumbling voice
and when I have to practice
my horrible
handwriting
they make fun
of the twisted
tilted
tormented
letters

While there are few word the reader still gets well acquainted with Fefa's family and community. Engle is known for her verse novels, and this is my favorite so far. It is visually and rhythmically very well crafted.

Read an excerpt

1 comment:

Ali B said...

I've read so many fantastic books in verse this year. I can't wait to read this one. Thanks!