Monday, April 9, 2012

Froi of the Exiles - Melina Marchetta

Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta
This is the second book in the Lumatere trilogy. Set three years later, Froi is one the many young men who found a home in Lumatere after the curse on the land in finally lifted. In the first one, Finnikin of the Rock, Froi unknowingly journey's with three people essential to restoring Lumatere. In return for their acceptance, Froi is very loyal to Lumatere. Froi finally gets to do something on behalf of his new kingdom. Sent on a secret mission to Charyn, where the king responsible for Lumatere's five days of the unspeakable lives. As Froi tries to do what he believes is best for his adopted kingdom, the queen, her husband and the people of Lumatere are doing their very best to heal and rebuild.

There are many excellent and complicated layers making the struggles, sorrows, successes and triumphs feel that much more realistic. I loved Finnikin of Rock and was very much looking forward to Froi of the Exiles and I was not disappointed. I should be embarrassed by how much I love Marchetta's work but am not. She's simply got some serious skills, every single time I read one of Marchetta novels (I've read them all) she simply raises the bar and crushes it. I realize this is more of a fan gush than a review but I don't care.

An excerpt via Candlewick press
It's best to read in order, Finnikin of the Rock is out in paperback.
An excerpt of Finnikin of the Rock via Candlewick press

Starred Publishers Weekly review
Kirkus review

No comments: