Monday, February 6, 2012

My Thanks,Guest Post, The Black History Month Hop

I read and loved No Crystal Stair by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson via netgalley. It's a documentary novel about Lewis Michaux who opened the first Black owned bookstore in Harlem, NY. When I finished No Crystal Stair I wanted to interview the author and help expose it to adult readers. I needed help on both counts. Nelson's lastest novel along with her last one Bad News for Out Laws was illustrated by R. Gregory Christie. When I couldn't find any contact information for the author, I reached out to Christie who kindly put me in touch with the author. Then I reached out to author Carleen Brice who runs the blog White Readers Meet Black Authors After I told Brice what novel was about, she nice enough to let me post the interview with Nelson at WRMBA. Thanks so much to R. Gregory Christie and Carleen Brice for the help.

No Crystal Stair has recieved two starred reviews, Kirkus and Horn Book. The interview will be up sometime this week at WRMBA. I loved Nelson's answers. Since I geared it towards an adult audience I purposely left off two questions, I will share those here sometime later.

For the rest of the month I will be The Black History Month Hop, which is being hosted by Reflections of a Bookaholic and Mocha Girls Read. So many of my post will have

attached at the bottom. Inculding the Online African American Read In, I am hosting with Edi and Vasilly. It starts on Monday Feb. 20 we will be reading Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes. Anyone and everyone is free to join in.

1 comment:

Ashley Hope PĂ©rez said...

Take note. This is an important book and a delightful read. It needs to be in schools, homes, churches, all over! Not just on a shelf, but in the hands of readers.