Sunday, October 25, 2009

Haunted, Scared, Chased And Cursed: Perfectly Fun For October 31

With Halloween only a few days away I thought I'd highlight some great reads for the occasion. And yes, I loved all of these books.

Revenge of the Witch: The Last Apprentice, Book One by Joseph Delaney - For a child who loves to be scared and goosebumps doesn't do it for them anymore, this is the book.


Magic Thief #01: The Magic Thief, Book One by Sarah Prineas - The main character Connwaer (Conn) is book smart and street smart. An expert lock picker/thief, living in a city thats run with magic.

Heck: Where the Bad Kids Go by Dale E Basye my review I do enjoy seeing an author's verison of hell, in this case Heck


I So Don't Do Mysteries by Barrie Summy - this isn't too scary but it so much fun and there are ghosts. my review

Pemba's Song: A Ghost Story by Marilyn Nelson and Tonya Hegamin my review


What-The-Dickens: The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy by Gregory Maguire. This was one of those I wish I had a fireplace to read it by books. Would make a great middle grade read to me at night book.

Gilda Joyce, Psychic Investigator by Jennifer Allison - I do love me some Gilda Joyce


Down the Rabbit Hole: An Echo Falls Mystery by Peter Abrahams A great YA mystery.


The Prince of Fenway Park Julianna Baggott my review Baseball, a curse and ghosts. A must read for baseball fans of all ages. This was my Cybils (Children's and Young Adult Bloggers Literary Award) pick middle grade sci fi/fantasy.


Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R L Lafevers

The Shadow Speaker by Nnedi Okorafor-mbachu my review


Rogelia's House of Magic by Jamie Martinez Wood my review For those who like their magic real

Ruined by Paula Morris This would have been a Cybils pick but someone beat me to it. A girl befriends a ghost in the New Orleans. my review

4 comments:

Barrie said...

Thanks for mentioning I So Don't Do Mysteries in this great line-up! Happy Halloween!

Becker said...

Well, this Red Sox fan now needs to get ahold of The Prince of Fenway Park! Thanks for the seasonal recs!

MissA said...

Does Ruined have a poc as the main character (I couldn't tell from the cover all that well, but it looks like it).

Great list! I have to read these and be better prepared next Halloween :) Especially the Shadow Speaker.

Doret said...

Barrie - thanks for stopping by. Congrats on the Cybils nod.

Becker - forgo the World Series this year for The Prince of Fenway Park.

Ari- Yes, the ghost is Black. (Haitian).