Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cybils - Go Vote

This is the third year of the Cybils or The Children's and Young Bloggers Literacy Award. If this is the first time you are hearing of it, then this must be one of the only children's blog you frequent (thank you, tell your friends) Between Oct 1 - Oct 15 everyone is free to nominate a book in several categories - including Early Reader/Short Chapter Books, Fantasy/Science Fiction, Middle Grade Fiction and Young Adult Fiction.

I love the Cybils awards. The standards and guidelines are clearly stated. As are the founders and judges, and where they can be found on a regular basis. The site is very user friendly There is no favoritism. Everyone is welcomed to participate and is equal. Your nomination carries the same weight as a best selling author. The Cybils site is a great place to find children's and young adult book recommendations fiction and nonfiction.

This year I was happy to see many books featuring people of color get nominated. There is only one category where diversity is lacking, Early Reader/Short Chapter Books. Win or lose the Cybils is a great chance to give a book you love a little exposure. All the judges are bloggers. So even if the book doesn't win it will find its way to readers who love to promote books. Also everyone will see the nominated books. Many times I have clicked on someone else's selection, because I liked the cover or title. This is a chance for give some Early Reader/Short Chapter Books featuring people of color some much needed attention. I think the following six books are eligible. Please don't do a blind vote. Don't just vote for a book because you see it here. If you see a title or two that looks good, read it first. Check it out at the library or buy it at a bookstore. You may find other titles to nominate.






Calvin Coconut: The Zippy Fix by Graham Salisbury,
Nikki and Deja: Birthday Blues by Karen English,
Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho) by Lenore Look ,
Keena Ford and the Second-Grade Mix-Up (Keena Ford) by Melissa Thomson ,
Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel by Nikki Grimes,
Backyard Sports #04: Hand-Off by Michael Teitelbaum,
A Happy Day (Katie Woo) by Fran Manushkin
Playing Games #4 (Amy Hodgepodge) by Kim Wayans


If you know of any more books featuring people of color that someone can nominate for Early Reader/Short Chapter Book category, please leave the title in the comment box. Must be published between Oct 16, 2008 - Oct 15, 2009 to be eligible

If you like this post, you have MaryAnn from Great Kids Books to thank for it. I was excited to see many books featuring people of color in the other categories get nominated, I had yet to notice the same wasn't happening in with the Early Reader/Short Chapter Books. MaryAnn brought it to my attention. Overall, the early reader catergory is lacking in nominations. So if you know of a new good one , go vote now.(by Oct 15) While your there go ahead and fill out the rest of the ballot.



Update

Calvin Coconut and Alvin Ho are too long to be considered short chapter books. I was afraid that would happen. I left them on because they're really great books. Plus all that time I spent getting the images right, I am not about to take them down.



6 comments:

Color Online said...

I nominated Keena Ford. I remember your review. Thanks for the heads up. Will link your post at Color Online.

Charlotte said...

Hmmm--I would say diversity is pretty thin on the ground in my own category, Middle Grade Science Fiction and Fantasy. But I've only read twenty of the books, so maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. (I haven't read The Prince of Fenway Park, which I am pretty sure you nominated, but I'm looking forward to it).

And Alvin Ho is adding diversity to regular middle grade fiction, which is a useful too....

Charlotte said...

blah--I meant "a useful thing"

Doret said...

Keena Ford is a great new series.
And thanks for the link, Susan.

Charlotte, I really debated over my Middle Grade Sci fi/fantasy pick. I loved Prince of Fenway Park but I don't know if it has enough fantasy elements to win.

I stuck with it though because its a wonderful book that more people should know about.

Doret said...

Calvin Coconut works for Middle Grade fiction as well.

Just voted for Dog Whisperer by Edwards for middle grade fiction, and notice someone has already voted for Alvin Ho.

Mary Ann Scheuer said...

Doret, you're a star! I love how you take my concern and TAKE ACTION! thanks so much!