Saturday, November 15, 2008

Voices in First Person Lori Marie Carlson

Voices in First Person: Reflections on Latino Identity by Carlson, Lori Marie This is a collection of writings by 21 Latino authors. Including Sandra Cisnerso, Oscar Hijuelos, and Gary Soto. Some of the stories I glanced over, others I read 2 or 3 times. That's the beauty of collection a reader is allowed to pick and choose. There is more then a enough in this collection that moves me to pause, think and laugh. I honestly don't know what else to write about Voices in First Person so I'll give excerpts from three of my favorites


Asking Her Where She Is From by Michele Serros
"I can't get by a week without a white person asking me that question. Sometimes when I'm asked the Question, I like to lie and make up areas within the Latin world from where I supposedly originated."


Last week I wanted to Die by Susan Gevara
Then, when I die, I will fly away with colored string and glass beads pasted to my wings. I will fly straight up to heaven, and I will take Satan with me. And if God doesn't like it well, I'll just refuse to leave. Satan will have to let me do all of the talking this time. I can't really see myself convincing God of everything, but we could at least have a conversation."


The Barrio ABC's by Quiara Alegria Hudes- Two kids battle through to spot what they see around there block. Its like the dozens


kid 1- G is for Graffiti
kid2- and for Gentrification
kid2- Z is for Zone. Empowerment zone Drug free zone. No parking Zone. Construction Zone.

No comments: