Saturday, November 15, 2008

Am Back, Did You Miss Me?

Hey everyone. (God it feels good to have these keys under my fingers again) Sorry for the long absence. I just moved. I had planned to do a post before the big day but my service got shut off a week early and turned on a week late. (lovely I know). Since I work retail when I have customer service issues I am far too nice. I know how it feels for a customer to go off on you, when all you did was pick up the phone. Being nice totally got me screwed. I have about three or four reviews to post. Since I didn't want to get any more backed up, I got caught up on some adult fiction. Finally read Lush Life by Richard Price which I really enjoyed. I read Roseanna by Maj Sjowall; Per Wahloo; (Translator) Lois Roth. Its a Swedish mystery originally written in the 60's I loved it, the story loses nothing over time. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson; (Translator) Reg Keeland, I picked this up right after Roseanna I guess you could say I was on a Swedish kick. This book got a lot of great reviews and customers have been buying it for awhile so I decided to read it. I hated it. If you ask I will tell you why but if I start I ranting I won't stop. I get reading urges a lot, like sometimes I get in the mood to read a British mystery or street crime mystery, something funny or a novel I can lose myself in. Anyhow a few weeks back I had a serious urge to go back to my reading roots. I wanted to read something by an African American author. Since I don't read urban lit, Christian fiction and I was not in the mood for anything written during or right after slavery my choices were seriously limited. I was in search of something a la Tumbling by Diane McKinney-Whetstone. If you have never read McKinney Whetsone you should. Her writing is just beautiful. Tumbling is still my favorite but her last novel Trading Dreams at Midnight was some of her best work, I was crying so hard. I ended up reading In the Night of the Heat by Blair Underwood; Tananarive Due; Steven Barnes, It was a nice quick enjoyable read. I also read Midnight: A Gangster Love Story by Sister Souljah- This started off so so well. I was loving it so hard. I even fought for it with a would be robber. (I will get back to that later) Since the main character is a teenager I had dreams of doing a duel post with Toni. After the first half the love was gone. I have not been this unhappy about a second half of a book since Ruins by Scott Smith. I can't wait until Toni's Midnight post because I have a lot to say. I finally got around to reading In the Woods by Tana French. It was as good as everyone said it would be. I loved it so much I will read French's second novel next and I never read same author back to back.

4 comments:

Toni Campbell said...

Welcome back!!

Doret said...

Thank you. Did you finish Midnight yet?

Logan Lamech said...

Been a long time, you shouldn't of left us.

Logan Lamech
www.eloquentbooks.com/LingeringPoets.html

Apryl DeLancey said...

So glad you are back! I did miss you!