Friday, October 22, 2010

Latino Authors - The End Has Come

When I do a feature I never know how its going to turn out. I loved this one, thanks to the authors.

In cased you missed it,

More Latino Authors Please/necesitamos mas autores Latinos

The Authors

Alex Sanchez
Jennifer Cervantes
Christina Gonzalez
Caridad Ferrer
Francisco X. Stork

And Finally
Who published what
Cincos Puntos Press

Initially one of the authors I asked to take part was Coert Voorhees I loved his debut novel The Brothers Torres. Voorhees got back to me quickly and informed me that he's White. I was surprised and some what embarrassed for getting his ethnicity wrong. Do I think less of The Brothers Torres, because the author isn't Latino? No. Good is good.

I decided to do this feature because I am for people being able to tell their own stories and create their own characters. Not because I am against writers who write as outsiders. Every writer should have the same freedom to create.

If you are searching for Latino authors, adult and children's literature - La Bloga is a must read.

If you made it all the way to the end. Gracias.

2 comments:

Kristi's Book Nook said...

I am with you on writers just wanting to create. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Doret,
Have you read this post on GuysLitWire?
http://guyslitwire.blogspot.com/2010/10/politics-of-reading-and-recommending.html

It speaks of hijacking someone else's story and making it our own.

I really liked this series because while it is so critical for POC to work together to get our stories read and published, we still can't speak for one another. I like how you provided the forum and stepped back. That's how we do it!! Like they say 'working together works!"