Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sweet, Hereafter Angela Johnson

Sweet, Hereafter by Angela Johnson
This is the final book in Johnson's Heaven Trilogy. I only recently read and loved the first two - Heaven and First Part Last. My expectations were very high and I was not disappointed. Sweet, Hereafter, (like the other two titles) is a slim read only 118 pages.

We first met Shoogy when her family moves next door to Marley in Heaven, OH. Shoogy feels disconnected from her family and moves out. She moves in with Curtis, a quiet guy with a kind heart.

Sweet, Hereafter, (like the other two titles) is a slim read only 118 pages. By page 100 Johnson can have you in tears, she's just that good. Its easy to see how much the author cares her characters. Johnson doesn't rely on tricks or excess words. Its all about well drawn characters, relationships and the story. The ending of Sweet, Hereafter hit me hard. Before, I got there I was moved by Shoogy and Cutris. This rounds out a beautiful trilogy. Heaven and First Part Last are both out in paperback. ages 13up

Read an excerpt

No comments: