Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sunday - A Little of Everything

So I had no idea what to call this post. Since its going to be a little of everything.

I finally opened my first free egalley from Netgalley it was very easy to do. I had to download Adobe Digital Editions onto my laptop so I could read eletronic book but it was guick. So far I've read seven chapters. I like it so far and plan to download more galleys. Though for books I am sure I am going to like I would still rather have the actual book so I can refer back to it. Plus many of my co-workers read MG and YA fiction. So many of the arcs get passed around the store. I figure the more booksellers that read a book before it comes out the better.


Help High School librarian, Edi Campbell win tech tools with no cost to you.

There's a new multicultural literary magazine that's worth checking out called phatitude I was pretty much sold on the magazine when I read

This is why the inclusion of multicultural literature in the classroom involves more than just the expansion of reading list. Teachers must transform there attitudes, orientations, as well as their methods of exploring issues of culture race and diverse voices in literature. Also they must learn how to effectively move such issues to the center of discussion and reflection. It also means devising a curriculum that does not pander to any particular group or people but rather provides a true representation of the finest literature that can be read anywhere and everywhere here in the United States and Beyond.

From the amazon google preview.
Speaking of amazon. (Not a very subtle transition but it will get the job done)
Zetta Elliott's YA novel A Wish After Midnight is on sale. Less than $5. If you visit this blog on a regular basis, you know how much I love that book and I am not the only one. Trust me A Wish After Midnight is ridiculously good and well worth twice as much as you will pay for it. So if you were thinking about buying it go ahead and get it. Buy two or three. Give one as a gift and donate the third to a library. For all the teachers out there is comes with a study guide and activities that can be done along with the novel if read in the class room. I shouldn't need to do this but I am going to give it to you any way. Read an excerpt

I finally have a weekly feature, showcasing new releases with kids of color every Tuesday. I really like doing it. I know I won't read all of these book, nor do I want to. Though at least I am letting a few people know about more diverse titles. I will miss new releases. It happens, the book is published by a smaller press, the date gets moved up, its not or my radar, and there are many other reasons.

So I usually don't worry about missing titles. I can always include them in next weeks round up no harm done. But I missed two big releases this past week and I feel bad about it. The first is Eight Days: A Story of Haiti by Edwidge Danticat illus by Alix Delinois.


I don't know how this happened, I knew it was coming out soon. What makes it worse. I was sent a copy to review, which is coming very soon. Though for now let me say beautiful. When I finished it I wanted to read it again and I did. Delinois use of color is wow and screams Haiti.

In connection with the release of Eight Days, Scholastic* is donating $10,000 to the International Rescue Committee.

I also left of the new Bobby Ellis Chan novel. Bobby The Brave (Sometimes) by Lisa Yee illus by Dan Santat.


How in the heck did I miss a Lisa Yee release. This should not have happened, especially since I loved Bobby vs. The Girls (Accidentally). My review and in a year when I keep on wondering where are all the good male characters, how could I forget Bobby Ellis Chan one of my favorite characters of 2009.

* Eight Days and Bobby The Brave (Sometimes) are both published by Scholastic imprints. It's just a coincidence, I am a equal opportunity gusher and I have the poem to prove it. And on the flip side I didn't intentionally leave off two scholastic titles

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doret,
Thanks so much for helping me get more dollars for technology for my school! We need it!!!

What age would you say would most enjoy Dandicat's book?

Charlotte said...

I'll be on the look out for Eight Days--thanks!

Doret said...

Edi - I'd say 6up for Eight Days