Sunday, September 19, 2010

Saving Sky Diane Stanley

Saving Sky by Diane Stanley
13 yr old Sky lives in New Mexico with her parents and younger sister, Mouse. Sky's parents have protected them from the outside violence that continues since the first attack on 9/11, when a bridge was taken out. The attacks are so frequent there are instructions to follow. Sky lives on a ranch, they don't have a TV or internet. If something happens there aunt will tell them. Soon after, Dr Khalid ( a new colleague of Sky's mom) and Kareem move to New Mexico things escalate for the worse. Oil lines are targeted, showing the countries dependence on gas.

Soon everyone from Middle East is rounded up and detained by President's orders. Simliar to what happen to Japanese Americans during WWII. Though Kareem is only in the seventh, he is still on the list. Sky's family comes together to hide him.

When I started reading, I didn't want to stop. Sky's family pretty much keeps to themselves on their ranch. They live off the land, using solar power. Stanley doesn't make a lesson out of the families green living it simply is. I love the families interaction. Sky is a very realistic and likable character. The author does an excellent job of showing how hate comes from fear. Saving Sky moves at a great pace. I wish I could've have connected with Kareem more. I also wish the author would've taken more time to distingush between Middle Eastern countries.

The ending was great though I felt the author rushed getting there. I liked how everything wasn't wrapped up and perfect. Saving Sky is very good and well worth reading. There's a lot to take away from it. It would me an excellent book club selection. ages 12 up

No comments: