Thursday, July 16, 2009

Welcome A New Blogger & Mark What You've Read

I want everyone to take a moment to welcome a new blogger Miss Attitude over at Young, Black, A Reader I hope I am not the only one who is excited by this new addition. Though I must say I am slightly jealous, Miss Attitude's almost hit double digits in comments on her fifth post. Don't let that stop you from going over and saying hello. Its the neighborly thing to do

Susan over at Color Online made a list to see how well read we are when it comes to YA by or about Women of Color. I don't begrudge anyone who makes these well read list because there is no way to include everyone. I love that Susan understands this and expresses her concerns for this list shortcomings allowing people to add more titles in the comment box.


Put an ‘X’ by what you’ve read, “#” by what books are on your tbr and “!” by books you loved. This list in very short and focused on women writers of color. Feel free to add titles in your comments. The list sorely needs works by Native Americans and Latinas for example.

Susan’s Unofficial List of Great YA by or About Women of Color:
1. When Kambia Elaine Flew In From Neptune by Lori A. Williams
x Every Time A Rainbow Dies by Rita Williams-Garcia
3. No Laughter Here by Rita Williams-Garcia
! Jumped by Rita Williams-Garcia
5. If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson
6. The House You Pass On The Way by Jacqueline Woodson
! Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith
8. From The Notebooks of Melanin Sun by Jacqueline Woodson
x Sold by Patricia McCormick
10. Heaven by An Na
! The Parable of The Sower by Octavia E. Butler
# Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
13. Persepolis by Majane Satrapi
x The Rock and The River by Kekla Magoon
x Secret Keeper by Mitali Perkins
x Mare’s War by Tanita S. Davis
x A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliott
! Down To The Bone by Mayra Lazara Dole
19. Don’t Get It Twisted by Paula Chase
x Jason & Kyra by Dana Davidson
21 Forged by Fire by Sharon Draper
x Kendra by Coe Booth
xShine, Coconut Moon by Neesha Meminger
x Does My Head Look Big In This? By Randa Abdel-Fattah
25. Born Confused by Tanuja Desai Hidier
x Skunk Girl by Sheba Karim
27. The Meaning of Conseulo by Judith Ortiz Cofer
28. In The Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez
x Kindred by Octavia E. Butler
30. First Part Last by Angela Johnson
! Pemba’s Song by Marilyn Nelson
x Wanting Mor by Rukhsana Khan
! M + O 4EVR by Tonya Hegamin
x Lucy The Giant by Sherri L. Smith
! The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
36 Throwaway Piece by Jo Ann Hernandez
# White Bread Competition by Jo Ann Hernandez
38. Across A Hundred Mountains by Reyna Grande
# Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon
40. Ash by Malinda Lo
x The Skin I’m In by Sharon G. Flake

9 comments:

Color Online said...

Gurl, why am I not surprised. I really want to read Mor. Thanks for introducing me to it and so many other good reads. You have never steered me wrong.

Unknown said...

Hi Doret!
I couldn't get the new blogger link to work. Could you repost that? Thanks!

MissA said...

Hi thanks for the shoutout!
Let me know how your niece likes Mare's war :)

Doret said...

KB, Thanks for the head up, the link is fixed.

Steph Su said...

Coffeehouse Angel will definitely be appreciated by a 12-year-old. It's a good idea. :)

I've been seeing that list around Color Online and Susan's personal blog, and I'm really excited to read more books from that list.

Color Online said...

You have quite an audience yourself. I saw Susan's list on a few blogs and they say they read it here.

Thanks!

Color Online said...

I just nominated The Happy Nappy Bookseller for BBAW

http://bookbloggerappreciationweek
.com/index.php/awards.

See categories and more at Color Online.

Doret said...

Susan, thanks so much

Anonymous said...

Cool story as for me. It would be great to read something more concerning that matter. The only thing it would also be great to see here is a few pics of some devices.
John Kripke
Phone jammers