Saturday, May 16, 2009

She Won I'll Cheer for a Philly but not the Phillies

The Preakness race was today, and no I don't follow horse racing. But this was to good a story not to follow

A Philly, Rachel Alexandra won the race. She is the first Philly to win the Preakness since 1924. Usually only Stallions race. And still the drama contiunes earlier this month the Kentucky Derby was won by Mind That Bird. The odds of this horse winning was 50 -1. I don't know what was worse the horse's odds of winning or his name. Mind that Bird's Jockey for the Derby was Calvin Borel. Even though Mind That Bird won, shocking everyone Borel decided to jump horses and ride Rachel Alexandra for the Preankness. So check out the race if you like, and you never know what my sports post will come in handy for trivia.



I am really glad the Philly won because now I have an excuse to post this.



And if you have it in you to watch one more clip check out the Derby race. Its pretty cool to see Mind that Bird come come from the way back. I always love it when you can hear the surprise in an announcer's voice. Sports announcers have seen pretty much everything so its great when the unexpected happens, and their voices go all high and the fan comes out.



Finally, a late add where I pull it back to the book - The Last Black King of the Kentucky Derby by Crystal Hubbard is the story of Jimmy Winkfield the last African American to win the Kentucky Derby. Its a great book with wonderful illustrations. My review

3 comments:

Lori Calabrese said...

Let's hear it for the girls!!

I LOVED the Last Black King of the Kentucky Derby!! What an awesome book!

All the best,
Lori
www.loricalabrese.com

Beth Kephart said...

I'm so grateful for this post... I missed the Preakness and felt so bad that I had. And now you've given it to me. Thank you.

Doret said...

Welcome. Its just good to know people enjoy these sports posts.