Monday, May 11, 2009

Eyes Like Stars Lisa Mantchev

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev Before I start telling you how great this book is I will begin with the cover, a Jason Chan original. When I saw the Eyes Like Stars cover, my first thought was what a lovely cover, but I don't think that's a book I'd like. Yes, I did judge Eyes Like Stars by its cover but its okay to do that with books just not people. But still there was something about the cover that made me read the book synopsis.

"Beatrice Shakespeare Smith is not an actress, yet she lives in a theater. She's not an orphan, but she has no parents. She knows every part, but she has no lines of her own. Until now. Welcome to the Théâtre Illuminata, where the characters of every play ever written can be found behind the curtain. They were born to play their parts, and are bound to the Théâtre by The Book--an ancient and magical tome of scripts. Bertie is not one of them, but they are her family--and she is about to lose them all and the only home she has ever known."

It sounded strange and different, just the type of book I would love. 17 yr old Beatrice has grown up in Theatre Illuminata but now she must prove her worth or she will be put out on the street. Beatrice decides to become a director and she has less than a week to put on a play. I don't even have the words to tell you how lovely this book is. Mactchev has filled this books with some very interesting characters. There are the four Midsummer Nights fairies who stay close to Beatrice throughout the book. All the fairies are male except one. There's also the young pirate Nate, who Beatrice like. For protection Nate convinces Beatrice to wear a scrimshaw charm around her neck. When Beatrice touches the charm she can see the true intention behind any ones word. Eyes Like Stars is beautifully different like James Kennedy's Order of the Odd Fish. I loved the rhythm of Eyes Like Stars, at the end there's a play within a play and it works so well. Manctchev writing is wonderful. I happily and easily lost myself in Eyes Like Stars. I highly recommend it. Ages 12up The book will be released in July.

While you wait if check out
The Order of Odd-Fish by James Kennedy - Another beautifully different book, I loved.
or
Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson - I really enjoyed this . Not so different like the other two but still far from common. Like Eyes Like Stars Suite Scarlett as a play and some drama.

2 comments:

Summer said...

Interesting. It doesn't look like the kind of book I would ever pick up if I didn't read this review. But you make me wanna read it!

Doret said...

Even though I didn't think I would like the book b.c of its cover. I still appreciated its beauty. And I am very happy I was open to reading Eye Like Stars.
Summer, why doesn't it look like something you would pick up?