Thursday, May 14, 2009

I and I Bob Marley Tony Medina Jesse Joshua Watson

I and I Bob Marley by Tony Medina illus. by Jesse Joshua Watson Medina tells Marley's story in 17 poems. Beginning with Marley's birth in Nine Miles. Medina shines a light on a very influential musician/activist. Marley's music and his message of peace touched many people. Medina easily conveys this so young readers will know Bob Marley was more than a great voice. Jesse Joshua Watson's gorgeous illustrations are a perfect fit to Medina's text. Watson's illustrations are strong enough to stand alone. Without reading a single word there's still a story. Its in Marley's young eyes of wonder or the man with the half open coconut and the smile on his face, or an adult Marley holding broken chains with a look of no more on his face. This beautiful book was made with love, I say that based off the very detailed the notes. Only an author who cared enough would take the time to expand on all 17 poems. A few things Medina gives us in the notes - what Rastafarianism is and its beginnings. How Jamaica was formed, and how Africans came to inhabit the island. The beginnings of Reggae music. Ages 7 up

This book is published by Lee and Low Books - On their website there's a wonderful interview with the author and illustrator about the book. You should check it out. Oh wait here it is -
Tony Medina and Jesse Joshua Watson on I and I Bob Marley




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, how much do I love Jesse Joshua Watson's illustrations. Those eyes! And the highlighting on the faces. Beautiful.

Apryl DeLancey said...

Nice - I can't wait to check this out!

P.S. The Dodgers can win a few without Manny.

Doret said...

I love the great trailer so people can she the beauty of the text and illustrations.

susan said...

You rock! Thanks.

Ali said...

This one caught my eye on their website, too. Thanks for the review!

Lenore Appelhans said...

My husband is a big Bob Marley fan. He'd love this.

Claudia said...

Just read this today after you re-posted the link. It looks beautiful! I'm definitely buying this for my daughter. Thanks...