Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Entomological Tales of Augustus T. Percival

The Entomological Tales of Augustus T. Percival by Dene Low Set in London in the early 1900’s Petronella has just turned 16 and is preparing to have her coming out party. Her guardian Uncle Augustus is quite normal until he swallows a beetle. He than develops an appetite for insects. Petronella has her 16th birthday party in a tent, which collapses on everyone when Uncle Augustus tries to catch a moth. Two very important guest are kidnapped in the confusion. Petronella takes it upon herself to solve the mystery, with the help of her Uncle, Joan her best friend, and Joan’s brother James. Petronella is witty, smart and quick on her feet. Petronella is woman enough to look forward to her coming out party and get into a little mischief with her best friend. Many times female characters must choose prim and proper or rebellious, its nice to see two characters who can embrace both sides. Not only does Petronella have to solve this mystery, she must also hide her Uncle’s condition from her visiting aunts. They would love to get their hands on her inheritance. This book is filled with great characters and the language is so much fun.

“There are moments when all motion is slowed so that a split second seems stretched out to a lifetime. Such interludes allow one to contemplate the meaning of life and perhaps absorb enough of the entailing circumstances so that one may make wiser decisions than would otherwise be possible. This was not one of those moments. Great aunt Theophilia lost her dignity enough to lunge toward the tray, hand outstretched. However, she clasped only Aunt Cordelia’s fingers, which clutched empty air because Moriarty had moved the silver tray just enough in my direction so that I could snatch the note myself. I would have sworn Moriarty winked at me as he did so, but I discounted such a gesture as beyond my stoic butler’s capabilities” (From Arc)

There were times when I couldn’t help but think of the classic board game Clue. When the butler was accused I nearly lost it. This book was so much fun to read, I loved it. Scheduled to be released in June

4 comments:

Summer said...

Coldstone closed? That's a tragedy! It's cake with ice cream on top and frosting all enclosed by a dark chocolate shell. Mmmmmmmmmm

Doret said...

That does sound good. I wonder if I could get them to add some peanuts

Colleen said...

"Clue"! That's perfect! That's exactly what this one is like. I loved it too - it's just FUN. (And how awesome is that?)

Zetta Elliott said...

oooh--this looks like my cup of tea! I need something fun after The Door of No Return...