Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday - A Little of Everything

The School Library Journal Battle of the Books, begins on Monday.

The competition pits 16 of last year's best books for young people against each other. And we've gathered an impressive lineup of judges made up of some of your favorite authors, such as Karen Hesse, R.L. Stine, Karen Cushman, Pete Hautman, and Grace Lin, who'll read and eliminate books as they get closer to the grand prize winner. I am very excited. I've read 10 of the 16 books. Though not reading all of them didn't stop be from making first round guesses. I've also entered, Blogger Eric Carpenter's Battle of the Books bracket challenge a la March Madness style.

Edi has being doing a lot of great post about Women of Color in honor of Women's history month. I am glad Edi started with Sweethearts of Rhythm by Marilyn Nelson because it was the perfect ending for the post I wrote for Kidlit Celebrates Women's History Month. I really like how it turned out. Now I just need to come up with a title. It will go live on March 21st.


Check out Ari's great interview with author Neesha Meminger about her most recent novel Jazz in Love. It reads a bit like a conversation.


On Monday, I will be posting my review of The Pipers Son by Melina Marchetta. I love Marchetta and this newest one is no exception.

If you have never read this author you are seriously missing. Marchetta is ridiculously good and very gush worthy. I am beyond psyched to be posting an interview with the author on Tuesday.

On Sunday March 20th. 44 teen authors will be signing at Books of Wonder . I am not going to start listing names because there are too many great ones. So just check it out for yourselves.


Both Meminger and Marchetta will be at the event. If you had any intention of buying either one of their books or any of the other authors consider calling up Books of Wonder and getting a signed copy. An autographed book would make a great gift and they could send it directly. Sure Amazon can offer free shipping but will the book be autographed. No. Besides Brick and Mortar stores need the support. * You don't have to wait until the day of the event to purchase your book. You can phone your order in early so you don't forget.


If your a blogger spread the word about this event and highlight one or two authors you like. The more books an author sells at a signing the better it looks. And yes I know that seems "duh" obvious but its still very true. Its the one time publishers can truly track the sales. Going into any event, bookstores and publishers always do a rough estimate of how many books might be sold. After the event numbers are checked. It truly sucks for everyone if only a few books are sold. It would be nice if some of these authors sold more then what was expected.


Maybe I will get some good karma for mentioning this event and a few big spenders will come into the store I work at. As opposed to the people who sit all day and read for free. Some have the nerve to want to talk to me. Dude, I am not your friend. Actually, I hate you so much right now.

No comments: