Monday, March 7, 2011

Play Ball Jackie by Stephen Krensky, illus. by Joe Morse

Play Ball Jackie by Stephen Krensky illus. by Joe Morse
I'll admit my first thought when I saw this book was " another book about Jackie Robinson" I wasn't even sure if I wanted to read it. Don't get me wrong I love #42, but I still couldn't help but think there are a lot children's books about Robinson out. I am glad I didn't let this one pass me by, I loved it.

Matty and his dad are at Dodgers opening dayfor free, after someone refused to go because Robinson was playing. Matty can't understand why anyone would pass up opening day. The two have a conversation about Robinson being the first Black player in the majors. I really liked the interaction between the father and son. Sometimes diagloue meant to teach can come across as stiff and forced. That was not the case here.

Krensky also does an excellent job showing the action on the field. He's found a nice balance, letting readers understand the importance of Robinson integrating baseball and enjoy the game.

Morse's detailed illustrations make this story pop. Robinson picking the ball in the deep web of his gloves inches off the ground was just beautiful. My favorite panel shows Robinson bunting then running down the first baseline. After reading Play Ball Jackie, I had to see more of Morse's work This is only his second picture book but it won't be the last.
Krensky and Morse have come together to bring something new to very well known story of Jackie Robinson's first day in Majors.


I've linked this post to non fiction monday. This weeks round up can be found at Picture Book of the Day

1 comment:

Vasilly said...

Thanks for highlighting this book! I haven't heard of it and it sounds like a book my boys will love. Congratulations on winning the judges contest on Battle of the Books!