Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday Links

I am still trying to decide if Sunday Links will be a regular feature. Though when I think about it I don't have any regular feature. So you may see Sunday Links again or next time it could be Saturday Links.

Check out a few recent reviews of books for young readers with characters of color

Edi @ Crazy Quilts - He Forgot to Say Goodbye by Benjamin Alire Saenz
Laura @ Bib-Laura-graphy - One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams Garcia
April @ Good Books & Wine - Copper Sun by Sharon Draper
Casey@ Bookworm 4 Life - Lockdown by Walter Dean Myers
Tanita @ Finding Wonderland - 8th Grade SuperZero by Olugbemisola Rhuday -Perkovich
Mary Ann @ Great Kids Books - The Rock and the River by Kekla Magoon
Mary Ann @ Great Kids Books - Bad New For Outlaws by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson
Ah Yuan @ Gal Novlety - 8th Grade SuperZero by Olugbemisola Rhuday -Perkovich
Jill @ Rhapsodyinbooks A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliott

Not sure which review to click on first - let your mouse decide, or start with the blogger name you like the most, or the book you keep hearing about. If you keep hearing about the same book, there's a reason - it wants you.


Over at Book Smugglers there is a new monthly feature called Covers Matter - first up Whitewashing Its an excellent piece and its obvious a lot of research went into it. They touch on everything from recent YA cover issues to Gerard Depardieu playing Alexandre Dumas.

April of Good Books & Wine is compiling a list of Top 100 Young Adult Titles of all time. You have until March 17 to sumbit Nominate your top 5 YA titles.

Author Zetta Elliott's article @ The Huffinton Post - Demanding Diversity in Publishing

Jill of Rhapsodyinbooks has had some great post for Black History Month. Two of my favorites, the review of Blood Done Signed My Name by Timothy Tyson and the one on Nina Simone. If you have never read anything Jill's written on Paul Robeson, you are seriously missiong out.

The other day when I went over to A Fuse #8 Production and learned that author Tonya Hegamin was the 2010 Ezra Keats Award winner for Most Loved in All the World, I gave a little happy squeal.

Cozbi A. Cabrera is the illustrator of Most Loved in All the World. Hegamin and Cabrera were both featured in TheBrownbookshelf 28days later campaign.

Ali of Worducopia is hosting Diversity Roll Call this week. There's still time to do it.

The assignment is to do one of the following sometime in the next couple of weeks or so:

1) Take a look at the magazines or literary journals you read. If you don't read them, pick one up from the library just for the heck of it. Look at the ads, the photo spreads, the authors and subjects of the articles. Do people of color exist in the world this publication presents to its readers? How about gays, lesbians, or people with physical differences?

2) Do you know of a magazine or journal that does embrace diversity? Be it high brow or low brow, tell us about it. If you don't know of any, do a little digging. They've got to be out there.

4 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Hey Doret, thanks for referencing some of my posts! I wanted to point out in case you didn't see it that today's New York Times Book Review has a review of a new book on Nina Simone: "Princess Noire: The Tumultuous Reign of Nina Simone" by Nadine Cohodas. Cohodas reports that Simone was diagnosed with schizophrenia, basing this on her angry outbursts. But as the reviewer says, "But was her anger a manifestation of an undiagnosed chemical imbalance, or did it reflect a life of failed marriages, failed affairs, failed motherhood, dislocations, financial woes, and a history of racial and sexual discrimination? Apparently, Simone also survived domestic violence and rape."

It makes me so mad: you can't get angry and depressed over injustice without being labeled as crazy! As I always end up saying, "makes me wanna holler!"

As for links as a feature, I love links, and I'm sure others appreciate them as much as I do, whenever - Sat. or Sun. - I don't think anyone would care if you switched it up! (Or you could say "Weekend Links" to cover all the bases!)

Mary Ann Scheuer said...

Hi Doret - thanks so much for the links! I loved both those books, so it's great to see the links shared. I hope you've been well. I've been much too busy, and so posting a bit less. I started grad school to get my MLIS. I'm half-way through One Crazy Summer and love it - great characters! Hope spring comes soon to Atlanta! Mary Ann

Ali said...

Thank you, Doret! I love your weekly links, you do a great job with them, so I hope you'll continue.

Doret said...

Jill - I believe it was Simone's second husband was violent and took much of her money.

I may have to check that book out.


Mary Ann -Every time I've stopped by your blog I've seen a new post. I loved One Crazy Summer.

Ali - Thanks, I missed the last two but I do plan on doing the Diversity Roll Call this week,