Sunday, February 28, 2010

Smile Raina Telgemeier

Smile by Raina Telgemeier
This is a laugh out loud, true story based off of the author's own experience. In Sixth grade Raina trips and fells after a girl scouts, damaging her two front teeth. One tooth falls out the gets jammed inside her gums. The story follows Raina's difficult journey to fixing her teeth, ending her sophomore in high school.

Smile is a graphic novel,a genre I don't read often. Sometimes I get confused about which bubble to read next and sometimes there's too much stimuli for me to process at once. Neither was the case with Smile, I absolutely loved all the images. Seeing the expressions on everyones face made me laugh that much more.

Raina is surrounded by a diverse group of characters, very fitting for a story set in San Francisco. Smile is one of those stories, I knew I was going to love as soon as I read after the first few pages. Raina has a younger sister who makes fun of her, friends who don't respect her, and she must deal with some serious dental drama. That all makes for one great read. ages 10 up
Read an excerpt

2 comments:

Jenny said...

This looks great! Though it sounds a bit like nightmares I've had about my teeth falling out. :P

Quinn said...

I have read the book and it is very good and at some parts very funny. Once you start reading it you won't want to stop! :)