Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Macmillan Books Buy New Not Used

If you haven't heard yet, Amazon and Macmillan publishers are feuding about the price of ebooks. Amazon wants to sell Macmillan ebooks at around 9.99 price point - Macmillan wants Amazon to sell their ebooks for around $15.00 I first learned about it at Charoltte's Library Amazon has stopped selling Macmillan books. Macmillan has many imprints including ten for children.. If you search Amazon for any Macmillian titles they will come up out of print.

I had a customer called for a novel by sci fi author Robert Jordan. The customer said he tried amazon first but all of Jordan's titles were coming up out of print. After the customer said that, I looked at the inside flap and sure enough Jordan is published by Tor a Macmillan imprint.

I don't know what the outcome of this will be but Amazon pulling the Macmillan titles is a crappy and bully move. If you want to understand what's going between Amazon and Macmillan I highly recommend reading a few of sci fi author John Scalzi recent posts, like this one (it has great links and updates) Don't miss the comments

I will use this as an excuse to highlight a few children's titles published by Macmillan imprints that I loved.

Zac Power by H.I. Larry -Its so hard to find stories for early readers that feature boys this is great one. Reluctant readers will love it.



Fairy School Dropout by Meredith Badger - I love this title and its a pleasure to handsell because I know girls are going to love it.



My Aussie reader love now extends beyond YA to younger books thanks to H.I. Larry and Meredith Badger

Spellbinder by Helen Springer - This book was oh so good, and I have a serious reading weakness for a main character who can talk to ghost. I loved the friendship between the three main characters. A girl, a boy and a ghost girl.



Six Innings by James Preller - This is one of the best middle grade baseball books out. If its one thing I know its baseball books. A kid who hates to read but loves baseball and plays little league will love this book.



Soccer Chick Rules by Dawn FitzGerald- This was one of my favorite girl sports finds of 2009. Girls who love Meg Cabot and enjoy playing on their field of choice will love it.



The Dog Whisperer by Nicholas Edwards - This was such a great read. I loved the protagonist. You don't often see a character of color let alone a biracial one as the main character of animal story, let alone a series. (hopefully) It feels like its suppose to be a series at the end. I love this cover, look at the pretty born to model dog (aww).



The Cabinet of Wonders by Marie Rutkoski - This is a must for fantasy fans. The writing is simply beautiful. I loved it.



Blessing's Bead by Debby Dahl Edwardson - This one has a quiet beauty


Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev - This was one my favorite books of 2009. The book is as good as the cover is beautiful. I love the cover.



Lockdown by Alexander Gorden Smith - This book gave me so much more than I expected. The main character Alex was one of my favorite male protagonist of 2009.



Hot Girl by Dream Jordan I really enjoyed this book and I loved the main character, Kate. A must read fan's of Coe Booth.

Upstate by Kalisha Buckhanon - I loved this novel so much. There are only a handful of YA urban fiction I think are well written. Upstate is at the top of that list. As with Hot Girl fan's of Coe Booth will love it.


Claudette Colvin : Twice Toward Justice by Phillip Hoose - One of my favorite biographies of 2009


Letting Go of Bobby James by Valerie Hobbs - I am right in the middle of this book. 16 yr old Sally Jo, has just been hit and left by her husband at a gas station in Florida. Sally Jo voice is very honest, sweet, direct and real.


Ari's waiting on The Firefly Letters by Margarita Engle.Its a beautiful cover.



I've linked all of these titles directly to the publisher's site. Excerpts are available for most of these books. So if anything sounds interesting do check it out. All of these titles can be purchased directly from Macmillan. Though you can also shop online at Powell's or better yet spend your money where you feel welcome and support your local bookstore.



6 comments:

James Preller said...

Thanks for the mention, Doret. SIX INNINGS will be available in paperback on March 3, I believe, for Happy Nappy Readers can save a few sheckles.

JP

Doret said...

James - I hope this ends soon.

Though I enjoyed being able to talk up all these books again.

I am looking forward to adding Six Innings into my paperback handselling repertoire

That reminds me - Rutkoski's- The Cabinet of Wonders is now out in paperback

Mrs. Pilkington said...

thanks for featuring these books!

Charlotte said...

I wish Amazon would at least make a coherent statement or something! I am so sorry for the authors affected.

And I second your recommendatin of Zac Power--great for the reluctant reader.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading Letting Go Of Bobby James and supporting Macmillan! I tried to sign on as a follower but I don't think my photo got through.

Jenny said...

I'm so mad at Amazon over this. I'd pretty much transferred my allegiance to The Book Depository anyway, but this very much clinches it. Thanks for the recommendations!