Thursday, February 25, 2010

Early Reviews - Share Your Thoughts

Is there some sort of time etiquette, regarding when to post reviews of ARCS? I was tempted to ask this question earlier in the year. In January I read Orlev's upcoming middle grade release The Song of the Whales. Its a beautiful and magical story. Set in Israel and has nothing to do with the Holocaust. I can't wait to talk about but I must (at least I think I do) because it doesn't come out until April.

I just finished another soon to be released middle grade book, that I loved. How I, Nicky Flynn, Finally Get a Life (and a Dog) by Corriveau. It comes out in May. This MG debut reminded me of Shusterman's The Schwa was Here

I think the release dates of these two titles are too far away for me to review. It makes sense for bloggers who have professionals like, librarians, teachers, book buyers as followers, to review books three or even six months in advance.

I believe anyone else ( me included) should try to post closer to the release date. Reviews too far in advance might be forgotten by the time the book comes out. Though I do think its okay to review books in a series early. So people can check out the other books before the new one is released.

I would love to hear what others think

A question for bloggers - If you review a book months in advance, do you remind your readers of it when the book is released?

A question for authors - Would you like to see reviews of your upcoming novels months in advance or would you rather they be closer to the release date?

Two questions for readers - Do you add early reviewed titles to your reading list? Do you pre-order?

13 comments:

Barrie said...

For me, personally, I like to read reviews no more than three weeks, maybe four, before the book comes out. That's as an author and a reader. I'm curious to see what others say.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I write my review but then schedule it close to when the book is due to be released, maybe 2-3 weeks. Because if people want it, they may forget by the time it will come out.

Inda Lauryn said...

Why not review it while it is fresh in your mind then repeat it around the time of the release date? I think writers might appreciate this since there can never be too much publicity for their work. Early reviews might create anticipation and help create buzz for the book.

Neesha Meminger said...

When I checked in with my publicist about this last year, she said they preferred reviews closer to the release date, i.e. in the four to six week window around the release date. People are bombarded with so many names of books, things to buy, and advertising messages on a daily basis, that it's likely a book will be forgotten if it's reviewed many months in advance.

However, having said that, I think ALL reviews are helpful, no matter when they're posted. If you write a review months in advance, you could always put up a quick "Today is the day Title X releases! Here [link to review] is the review I posted a while back" as a little reminder.

I love that you're thinking about this, Doret. It shows that supporting authors is important to you. As is writing honest reviews -- something you've shown clearly on your blog.

Becker said...

I love to hear about things a bit ahead of time--mostly so I can be up there on my library's list! But my library usually orders only 2 months ahead, so more than that and I have to keep track of things, which is sometime sucessful, sometimes not. An early review with a reminder around the release date is great!

KyleeJ said...

As a blogger, I tend to start the book 6-8 weeks before the release date. Then I schedule the review for close to the release date (about 1 week before or after).

As a reader and library user, I can see posting it 2 months (or more) in advance. The earlier you know about a book coming out the closer you are to the front of the library queue. =)

Anonymous said...

It's best to have most reviews come out around the book's release date. However, I think a few early reviews can be helpful, especially if the book releases at the same time as several other books.

As both author and reader, I also like to see some reviews a few months after release. Sometimes they remind me of a book I meant to read but haven't picked up yet!

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that my blog gets more hits if I post close to the release date. Many of my reviews are older books and they just don't get the attention.

I've heard many librarians grumble about reviews being written prior to the book release because they'll want to order the book and can't find it. The vendors I use only 'hold' orders 2 weeks out.

Vasilly said...

As a reader and blogger, I definitely pre-order books I hear about months in advance.I write all of my reviews either around the publication date or later.

Jen Robinson said...

I'll often post a review early, but I try to remember at the same time to schedule a short reminder post, linking to the review, for release day. Sometimes, if I have a lot of reviews lined up, I'll hold the review until closer to publication, but sometimes I just want to get the word out early. It depends on the book, and on how in need of content I am for my blog.

Mary Ann Scheuer said...

I agree with you that it makes sense to wait until close to the release time to post a review. But as a blogger, I loved reading about your recent reads. I have the ARC of Nicky Flyn sitting on my coffee table. Your comment puts it closer to my next book...

Doret said...

From now on if I write early reviews, I will do a reminder link on the day of the release.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Please keep them coming.

Mary Ann - Nicky Flynn is so good. Loved it, Its a must for anyone you enjoys books set in Boston.

Credit Loan Solution said...


You can't believe what i just got,… A loan of $ 60,000. I have been looking for a loan for the past 2years until i was referred to a legitimate lender. Though it was not that easy to approve my loan, as you know nothing good comes easy. But I got my loan within 4 hours i got my loan, and before i knew it, the loan was transferred to me. please friends, don't let any body deceive you and scam you for this is real. Contact them via Email: gaincreditloan1@gmail.com OR You can also whatsApp them at: at +31-635-250-311 (WhatsApp Only)