Saturday, November 15, 2008

New Books

In the past I was told I was free to ask for titles I thought would sell in the children's section. This of course was pre economic woes. I am far from optimistic but I handed in a list of titles . A few weeks past, nothing. I didn't ask about it because I figured it was a long shot to begin with, but they came, New Books New Books. Sweet. Retail sales have dropped everywhere but thankfully parents are still coming into bookstores to buy children's books. As long as you're familiar with the product and can read your customer children's books are the easiest to handsell. I am at the point now where customers don't even know what hit em. After all these years my approach is so smooth and sick, its crazy. Making suggestions is second nature now. For instance- A customers comes in to buy a joke book for an 8yr olds birthday party. I can't help but ask if her sons read Diary of a Wimpy Kid. She said No, I said What! She buys 2 one for son one for his friend. A customer is buying a Project Runway kit for her niece. How could I not show her Catwalk . I have a sweet one two punch going with Sugar Plum Ballerinas: Plum Fantastic and Little Divas right now. Of course I am happy the store gets the sale now more so then ever, but I am happier that children and teens are getting their hands on books they could possibly love. Hopefully parents and teachers will continue to buy their books from bookstores. The happy and satisfied customer- Some may stray but they all come back.

No comments: