Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012 Books That Caught My Eye

I decided to end the year by showcasing some 2012 titles that I am looking forward to. Thanks to netgalley and early arc I've already read a few and know there are a lot of excellent books coming out in 2012.











January
Stars in the Shadows by Charles R. Smith jr. illus. by Frank Morrison

Freedom's a Callin Me by Ntozake Shange illus. by Rod Brown
When Grandmama Sings by Margaree King Mitchell illus. by James Ransome
Just as Good: How Larry Doby Changed America's Game by Chris Cowe illus. by Mike Benny
Ellen's Broom by Kelly Starling Lyons illus. by Daniel Minter
The Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis

The Story of Half a Girl by Veera Hiranandani
Irises by Francisco X. Stork
Living Violet by Jaime Reed
In Darkness by Nick Lake
The Book of Wonders by Jasmine Richards


Feburary
The Knife and the Butterfly by Ashley Hope Perez

King of the Mound by Wes Tooke
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews
Bad Boy by Dream Jordan

No Crystal Stair by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson
Ship of Souls by Zetta Elliott
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Dead to You by Lisa McMann
Pure by Julianna Baggott
Girlchild by Tupelo Hassman


March
Explorer:The Mystery Boxes edited by Kazu Kibuishi

Freddie Ramos Makes A Splash by Jacqueline Jules
Spy School by Stuart Gibbs
Into the Wise Dark by Neesha Meminger

Tessa Masterson Will Go To Prom by Brendan Halpin and Emily Franklin
Guy Langman, Crime Scene Procrastinator by Josh Berk
Boy21 by Matthew Quick

Ripper by Stefan Petrucha
The Difference Between You and Me by Madeleine George
The Girl who could Silence the Wind by Meg Medina

Dying to Know You by Aidan Chambers
Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta


April
Fake Mustache by Tom Angleberger

A Topps Town Story by Kurtis Scaletta illus. by Eric Wright
Giants Beware by Jorge Aquirre illus. by Rafeal Rosado
Renegade Magic by Stephanie Burgis
172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad

13 Hangmen by Art Corriveau
Thou Shall Not Road Trip by Antony John
I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

Ghost Flower by Michele Jaffe
The Night She Disappeared by April Henry
Above by Leah Bobet
The Chaos by Nalo Hopkinson


May
The Rumor by Anushka Ravishankar illus. by Kanyika Kini

A Hero for Wondla by Tony DiTerlizzi
The Quick Fix by Jack D. Ferraiolo
Wanted by Heidi Ayarbe

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
37Things I Love (in no particular order) by Kekla Magoon
The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze
Happy Families by Tanita S. Davis


June
Love Bean by Chudney Ross

Miracle by Elizabeth Scott
Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo

July
Love Amalia by Alma Flor Ada and Gabriel M. Zubizarreta

Dark Companion by Marta Acosta
Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan and Justine Larbalestier
Before You Go by James Preller


August
A Certain October by Angela Johnson
The Boy Recession by Flynn Meaney
Fire in the Streets by Kekla Magoon


September
The Broken Lands by Kate Miford
Speed of Light by Amber Kizer
Adaptation by Malinda Lo

12 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Next year is going to be so GREAT for books. That Mighty Miss Malone is so cute I want to bite her. I'm so excited about better covers!! Happy New Year, Doret!

Marta said...

Thank you for including my book on your list. I regret to say that as much as I loved libraries, librarians were not always fond of me. I talked in libraries, didn't return books on time, camped out and took up too much space, asked too many questions, complained about stubby pencils, dawdled over the card files, etc. I was asked on more than one occasion to please leave.

Ah, the happy times!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Lot of great looking books on that list! I can't believe they have some of those covers out so early!

Sprout's Bookshelf said...

Love this list, thank you! Just added a ton of great-looking stuff to my TBR list!

Sarah Rettger said...

I just made The Mighty Miss Malone my first book of the year, and it was awesome. As is to be expected.

I didn't love Irises the way I loved Stork's earlier books, though, so I'm looking forward to hearing what you (and everyone else) think of it.

And I suppose I should say thank you, Doret, for doubling the length of my TBR list -- only I'm not sure gratitude is quite the emotion I'm trying to get across here/ :)

Charlotte said...

The Mystery Boxes went right onto my list, and several others I hadn't heard of yet. Thanks!

Kelly said...

Wonderful list! Thanks so much for mentioning my forthcoming picture book. Happy New Year!

Trisha said...

I totally want to read Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. Mostly because of the cover, but still. And I didn't know Amber Kizer's next Meridian book was coming out this year!

Katie Ahearn (Secrets & Sharing Soda) said...

I'm really looking forward to The Mighty Miss Malone -what a fantastic cover! Ditto for Lone Bean. Great stuff coming up this year.

KateCoombs said...

What a wonderful list! Esp. Crystal Stair and The Mighty Miss Malone. And I have an ARC of The Book of Wonders just waiting to be read!

Ms. Yingling said...

I've already read a couple of these, but this is a great list that I will use a lot. Thanks for putting it together.

teacherninja said...

I have so many already-published books that I try not to pay too much attention to whats upcoming. I read reviews on blogs like yours for that!