Monday, August 15, 2011

Pablo Neruda - Monica Brown - Julie Paschkis

Pablo Neruda: Poet of the People by Monica Brown illus. by Julie Paschkis
Beginning when Neruda was just a little boy with the given name Neftali. It shows the poet at different stages in his life in such a beautiful way that it's easy to get lost in his world.

Brown's text has a rhythm that would make any poet proud.

"Pablo loved the stones of Chile. He wrote about stones by waves onto the beach and stones polished by sand and salt."

Paschkis beautiful illustrations pop and adding more life to the story. I am a fan of Brown and Paschkis, so I was very happy to see how well their styles blend. Words in English and Spanish are sprinkled within the art. It's a goregous collaboration between artist and illustrator.

If there was greater back matter I would've loved this biography even more. An author's note and resources are included.

A starred Kirkus Review
A book preview

I've linked this post to Non fiction Monday. This week's round up can be found at Amy O'Quinn's

3 comments:

GatheringBooks said...

Hi. I could also testify to how great this picture book is. I've seen this title featured in a number of Nonfiction Monday posts and borrowed it from the library myself. I've also written a review previously on Gathering Books in case you'd like to drop by and see it: http://gatheringbooks.wordpress.com/2011/07/11/nonfiction-monday-pablo-neruda-poet-of-the-people-by-monica-brown-and-illustrated-by-julie-paschkis/

Tammy Flanders said...

Sounds like an interesting book. I've added to my list to order for the Doucette Library. Thanks for the recommendation.
Tammy
Apples with Many Seeds

Amy O'Quinn said...

This sounds like a book I'd enjoy using with my children! Thanks for the recommendation!