Monday, August 22, 2011

My Name is * Me llamo Celia - Moncia Brown, Rafael Lopez

My Name is * Me llamo Celia by Monica Brown illus. by Rafael Lopez
This is a beautiful bilingual biography of Celia Cruz the queen of salsa. Brown's rhythmic text and Lopez's colorful illustrations will entice readers to dance

Sugar! My voice is strong, smooth, and sweet. I will make you feel like dancing. Close your eyes and listen. My voice feels like feet skipping on cool wet sand, like running under a waterfall, like rolling down a hill. My climbs and rocks and dips and flips with the sounds of congas beating and trumpets blaring.

Boom boom boom! beat the congas.
Clap clap clap! go the hands
Shake shake shake! go the hips.

Released in 2004 it was an Americas Book Award winner and recieved a Pura Belpre honor for illustrations.

This year Rafael Lopez released postal stamps featuring Latin American music legends. Five in all incuding Celia Cruz. They are gorgeous.

I've linked this post to non fiction Monday. This weeks round up can be found at Ana's Nonfiction Blog



2 comments:

GatheringBooks said...

I've reviewed a Monica Brown book and thoroughly enjoyed it (Poet of the People) - I look forward to reading more picture books written in her fresh voice. I shall look out for this one.

Ana Maria Rodriguez said...

I love Celia Cruz's uplifting spirit, songs and performances. I'll have to check this book out!