Monday, July 12, 2010

Seth Baumartner's Love Manifesto Eric Luper

Seth Baumgartner's Love Manifesto by Eric Luper
Seth is by dumped his girlfriend at Applebees. While there Seth sees his father having lunch with a strange woman. With nothing going right with his love life Seth decides to start an anonymous late night podcast call The Love Manifesto.

Seth doesn't even tell, his best friend Dimitri the name of his show. Though Dimitri figures it out, as do other people. When that happens Seth has some explaining to do. Until then Seth talks freely about what's going on in his life. Including the many reasons why he loved his ex, and what he thinks of his father's mysterious friend.

I really enjoyed this book. Its great balance of funny and serious. Seth is a great realistic and believable character. He cares about his show and really wants to know why his relationship didn't work out. Seth is on his fifth summer job. This time he's working at the golf pro shop at the country club.

The author does an excellent job with the various relationship. Seth's relationship with his father is a little rocky. Seth's father is constantly telling him what he needs to do to be successful. The two with be participating in a golf competition at the country club. I really liked Seth's friendship with Dimitri and Dimitri's younger sister Audrey.

This is one of those books I appreciated that much more a few days after I finished it. Looking back on Seth Baumgartner's Love Manifesto, I realized I am not familiar with many YA books where the father and son's relationship is apart of the storyline. Also the dialogue was spot on good. Eric Luper has simply written a really great story. I highly recommand for reluctant reader guys. Ages 13 up.
Read an excerpt

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would read this just because Luper wrote it. I enjoy his writing!

evelyn.n.alfred said...

This is interesting. I love how authors stay up with technology and add them to their stories.

I really wish I could get into writing book reviews, but I always stare at a blank screen when I make an attempt.

Doret said...

Edi - I didn't know you read Luper. This was the first book I've read by him. Now I want more

Evelyn - As long as you keep writing triolet you can stare at the blank screen all you want.

Jodie said...

Interesting point that about the father son relationship. I can think of 'Chameleon', 'Last Exit to Normal' and 'Out of the Pocket' right off the bat, but I wonder how many others are out there.