Sunday, July 18, 2010

Martha Ann's Quilt for Queen Victoria - Kyra E. Hicks - Lee Edward Fodi

Martha Ann's Quilt for Queen Victoria by Kyra E. Hicks - illus. by Lee Edward Fodi
This is the story of Martha Ann Ricks. Martha Ann was born around 1817 on a Tennessee plantation. When Marth Ann's father learns about a group called the American Colonization Society which will help enslaved Blacks start a new life in the African country of Libera, the family begins to save every penny. The family finally makes their way to freedom and Libera in 1830.

Martha Ann's parents die of the African fever. Martha Ann decides to make them proud by making a quilt for Queen Victoria. The Queen sent in a navy to try and stop slavery, the quilt was Martha Ann's way of saying thank you. Martha Ann saved her coins and worked on that quilt for years. When Martha Ann was 76 she finally made the trip to see the Queen and present the quilt

This is the first picture book I've read where American Colonization society and slaves escaping to Libera is mentioned. I really enjoyed Martha Ann's quilt. Fodi's illustrations were just okay for me. Though Hicks text was strong enough to overcome this, she writes a great story. The story is filled with a lot of information about Mary Ann Hicks and her life in Liberia.

Marth Ann's father saving every coin for the families trip to Libera, and than Martha Ann saving every coin to visit the Queen - I was reminded of A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. William. I think the two books might make a good pairing.

Hicks has a newer book out illus. by Bill Gaskins called This I Accomplish: Harriet Powers' Bible Quilt and Other Pieces I am not familiar with Harriet Powers. Though after looking at a few of her pieces I want to know more. Plus the cover of This I Accomplish is gorgeous.

Though I haven't seen it yet, I think This I Accomplish would go well with Stitchin' and Pullin': A Gee's Bend Quilt by Patricia McKissack. Since both are picture book stories about famous quilters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quilting books!!! I like!