Friday, November 20, 2009

Long Shot. Chris Paul Frank Morrison

Long Shot: Never Too Small to Dream Big by Chris Paul illus. Frank Morrison
For those who don't follow the NBA Chris Paul is a NBA All -Star, (hence the title) and he is also a very popular player. Before I got ahold of this book, I was worried it would be too much lesson and not enough story. That tends to happen alot with celebrity books, whether they are written by the celebrities themselves or ghostwriters.

Long Shot has a good balance. I loved it. What turns my would be like into love for this story are Morrison's illustrations. I am a huge fan of his style. With another artist this text would be considered good with Morrison its becomes very good.

A young Chris Paul dreams of playing on his school's basketball team but everyone says he is too short. He practices day and night until tryouts. The text and illus. of the tryouts are lovely.

"I picked myself up and got back on defense. The other team's biggest player had the ball. I watched his hips just like C.J. told me to. When he tried to fake right, I wasn't fooled. I darted in and stole the ball. I heaved a chest pass to my teammate under the basket, and right at the buzzer, he scored"

Young basketball fans will love this picture book. Ages 4up

2 comments:

Apryl DeLancey said...

Awesome - sounds perfect for my little nephews. They are huge sports fans!

Your sports-themed book reviews are my favorite, as you know!

Doret said...

Hey Apryl,

They will love it.