Monday, November 16, 2009

Claudette Colvin : Twice Toward Justice. Phillip Hoose

Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice by Phillip Hoose - This is the story of Claudette Colvin, a teenager who got arrested for standing up for her rights. Nine months before Rosa Parks refused to give up her bus seat Claudette stood her ground.


This is a wonderfully detailed biography. If this is to be the only biography on a teenager who did her part to bring about change, then the world lucked out. The author was able to interview Claudette Colvin. There are some great photographs of the time dispersed throughout. As well as documents and newspaper articles. Claudette Colvin was also one of four plaintiffs in Browder v Gayle. The federal judges ruled bus segregation unconstitutional. Thanks to that ruling Alabama bus boycott soon come to an end.


It would be hard not to be moved by this story and Claudette Colvin, who's act of strength the world was not ready for. This book as a National Book Award finalist. Ages 10up


Read an excerpt This book would go nicely with


The Rock and the River by Kekla Magoon

I've linked this post to Nonfiction Monday.

8 comments:

Roberta said...

Wow, there are so many figures in history who quietly fade away or their stories aren't even told. I will definitely be looking up this book.

Unknown said...

I'll be reading this as part of our Mock Newbery club. Wondering if it would be a nice pairing with Freedom's Children.

Doret said...

Roberta, its a wonderful story.

KB if you mean Marching For Freedom then, Yes. I loved that as well

Shalonda said...

I just put this on hold at my library. I'm hoping to buy a copy for my classroom as well.

Curious City said...

Thought you might like to hear from the woman herself. Claudette Colvin has been traveling with author Phillip Hoose and I have just woven her recordings into a YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZOpqtdd8nw

You can so see the brave bold 15-year-old in her still...

MissA said...

I loved this book! I had already heard of Claudette Colvin from Freedom's Children and I was ecstatic that I w by Ellen Levine ould get to read more about a teen my age who helped make a necessary change!

Doret said...

Curious- Thanks so much for the you tube link

Mary Ann Scheuer said...

I just loved this book. I'm so glad that it won the National Book Award for Young People's Literature this week. It was compelling, beautifully written and drew me all the way through. I've had trouble convincing kids to check it out at the library, which is frustrating. But it's worth it! I'm so glad you got a chance to read it.